Thinking about getting some dwarves

Rumpig

Gidday,

after reading some of the posts in this forum on these fish I was wondering if you could give me some info on your tanks.

What substrate do you use?

Do you have much current in your tanks?

What ratio of fish do you have? (1m:1F?)

What size tanks do you use for breeding?

I haven't kept anything apart from rift lake cichlids for a long time and have been wanting to get something different.

I have a 4x18 to play with and am interested in Pelvicachromis spp. or maybe some of the less common dwarves..

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mick

As far as i know most Pelvicachromis are pairing. As farr as apistos i am no expert or anything resembling one but i seem to remember people breeding them in trios (1m/2f) or with more females. Most apisto tanks i have seen have some pebbles or sand (river sand so that it doesn't raise pH) sometimes a layer of leaves from oaks or similar non-oily trees (eucalypt leaves have caused problems in some cases). Also driftwood will help to lower the pH and many species enjoy the tannin in the water. Other than that it gets specific depending on what species you like but with a 4fter to play with you could keep most dwarves.

Have a look around and give us some species you like the looks of. Depending on the species they may like soft water or like kribs throw wierd sex ratios if water parameters aren't quite right.

HTH

Mick,

A 4 x 18 is a good size tank for dwarves. You will be able to keep quite a few pairs in this size tank. Most of the dwarves breed in pairs, except some appisto's and Dricossus species which can also breed in harem's. The current in the tank is not too much of an issue, so long as it is not too strong (Aquaclear's are fine). Light or dark subtrates are ok, just stick to a small grain size (up to 4mm grain size) as kribs and some other dwarves like to dig. River sand is ideal.

Although some people breed dwarves in tanks as small as 10 litres! The common consensus is 60cm (2ft) tanks minimum, with 75cm (2.5ft) being even better. You can have 'plants' in the tanks, or 'no plants'. If going the 'no plants' route, just have some pots, wood etc for hiding off course.

As a general guide, keep the ph at 7 or below, and soft water is ideal. I find Sydney tapwater very soft (2deg kh), although high ph (7.6) off course.

Daniel

I have just dropped a divider into a four footer to have two "half tanks". In one side have Golden Dwarf Cichlid with young, the other half have pair of Rams and 5 Checkerboards.

I find this makes best use of my available room.

Now I will probably get rid of my firemouths and do the same to another four footer. (WARNING: Dwarf cichlids are addictive.)

My four footer has no substrate and heeps of driftwood and works. I have another two footer that I am trying sand in and it is working.

Java moss is good stuff too.

Don't forget the common species. For example if you want kribs, get some normals from two different sources and breed some decent quality fish. Can make a difference, and always be able to sell your young.

I was interested in Pelvicachromis suboccelatus as I have kept "matadi" before and had them spawn once however I was not sucessful in raising the fry.

At the moment the tank has quite large red gravel as substrate, however that is easily changed to riversand if need be.

I was thinking about going with anubias on pieces of wood...

I'll have White clouds as dithers. No catfish as I know about Pelvicachromis fry's tendancy to lie in the substrate when threatened.

Mick

Archived