sex change, peacocks ?

onlyme

Hi Craig

well i have heard and seen melanochromis species change sex but never heard of a peacock , i had a melanochromis simulan which was coloured up for months as a male and one day switched and stayed coloured up as a female , but then fiona did have a hongi that switched so who knows :lol:

they sure are it means u can never be guaranteed you are getting a pair lol, i know that what happened when i bought the simulans from an LFS, thought i had 2 female and a male turned out 6 months later i had the reverse lol

I don't think my Hongi changed sex per se, more that they wore the colours/appearance of the opposite sex for some time. One of them even remained smaller while there were 2 more dominant males in the tank. Now it's grown to proper male size. The other one looked like a male for some time until it held (it now looks like a female but still more intense colours than the other females). It never grew larger than the other females, but since my colony was young during the time I thought it was male, none of them had reached full size yet.

Craig, I'd be interested to know if the eggs are fertile, if they are, you would have a different male in drag!

Archived