How to settle my Cichlid....

RPS13X

I have a display tank with cichlids. 2 of them have breed and 1 is holding a mouthful. I have purchased a small breeder net to keep her safe. The other cichlids are bullying her quite a bit and she is not eating with the mouth full of young....

My questions is: How do i keep her happy in this net? She looks very stressed and is constantly trying to swim through the net....

I did not plan on breeding them but it has happened and i am worried that if i release her back into the main tank area she will die due to being chased and not eating.

Any help would be great!!

many thanks

Ryan

hi Ryan

those net breeders are not the best things to use, as she has nowhere to hide, and is in a strange/confined place.

if you can hang a cover over the front of the tank[so she can't see you] she should settle down.

don't be too distessed about her not eating, most cichlids cope with this, [although it is supprising how many do actually manage to grab small morsels]

if she were still in the tank, she would find somewhere hide and avoid danger, but when the fry are released, they would be in grave danger.

a few more details would help; ie. tank size, species, how many,decor etc. it all fits together and gives others a better idea on any advise offered.

HTH.

cheers;

Ryan -

Dont use a breeding net, period. They are too exposed. In the short term (until you've made what I am going to suggest) then use a piece of black floating "ag pipe" in the net. She'll hide in it.

After adding this I'd suggest making a floating fry saver (or floatie, as they are known here on the forums).

Instructions:

http://www.sydneycichlid.com/old_scp/frytank.html

Because these have a solid base they are MUCH better then breeding nets.

Archived