Cichlasoma Festae and Amphilophus Festae

Meredith

Hey

As it says i looked on the net for festae and it comes up with that many types of them so what is the one that is most common out of the 2 that i have mentioned and also who has this fish and could you share some information about this beautiful fish.

Meredith

Meredith -

Firstly, I must deal with a pet hate re:scientific names. Species names always have a small letter. So Pseudotropheus saulosi is correct, Pseudotropheus Saulosi is just plain awful.

and.... to your question its the same fish. Cichlasoma is the old catch all genus from south american (its now limited to Cichlasoma dimerus and similar species). I think festae are in limbo presently, Sven Kullander - one of the experts in cichlid taxonomy still has them listed as "Cichlasoma festae" but I'm fairly sure that they dont belong there any more and are probably homeless at present LOL!. Most correct name is probably 'Cichlasoma' festae. The 'quotes' to indicate the fishes uncertain taxonomic position at this point in time.

Eschmeyer's authoritive Catalog of Fishes also lists their position as incertae sedis (Of uncertain placement) presumably due to Kullanders revision of the genus Cichlasoma to C. dimerus and similar species.

HTH -

Hi Jason -

Burgess used the genus Nandopsis for this fish in an article in 2000.

article here: Burgess, W. E.  2000. The Cichlasoma story. Herichthys, the break-up.  Tropical Fish Hobby. 44-54.

A few things to note here:

Tropical fish hobbyist isnt a well recognised journal of icthyology (its a hobbyist mag after all). Its pretty much ignored by all scientists (and deservedly so) as the articles arent peer reviewed. So name changes in magazines/texts etc that are not peer reviewed by scientists are due a significant amount of scrutiny. Edit: I think the actual genus name "Nandopsis" pre-dates the above article.

Despite what some cichlid hobby texts would have you believe, the taxonomy of many central american cichlids is still (at least from my very limited reading of the literature) up in the air.

Despite what some cichlid hobby texts would have you believe, the taxonomy of many central american cichlids is still (at least from my very limited reading of the literature) up in the air.

Indeed. The question presents itself Yew; To Guapote or not to Guapote rolleyes.gif sad arent I laugh.gif

Cheers,

Jason

Archived