Bamboo look alike plant

Kat

I have heard a few shops in SA selling Lucky Bamboo with bowl set ups for fighters etc, how well the plant grows im not sure. interesting looking plant from what ive seen same as the curly bamboo is doing the rounds here.

However i dont think it would grow fully submerged dntknw.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have been keeping lucky bamboo fully submerged for over 5 years now and all seems good! But, onced submerged, do not take it out of the aquarium and grow it like normal, they just dry up and die. I found that fresh cutting of it grow best in aquariums and the grow their roots faster. On another forum (fishprofiles), many know me of growing my lucky bamboo underwater. They do good in an aquarium...but algae is easily grown on the leaves...thus having a few BN (or any other algae eater) is good for them.

I started to grow lucky bamboo underwater is when I accidently dropped my mum's lucky bamboo plant on the floor (after that incident...i learnt not to touch precious items that isnt mine) and snapped a few newly grow branchs (stalks) about 5cm tall. I asked my mum and she gave em to me...guess i scored some freebies...along with my punishment...so i decided to stick them into the gravel and see how they grew. After about a month I noticed that all my fish lover to swim around them so I decided to see if they grew any roots...pulled them out and I was shocked! Roots and leaves was very green. After a few more attemps with other stalks from other mother plants...I has successfully grew them underwater.

Through my observations, they do not require alot of lighting and they benifit from co2. They make good background plants and look good internally in water and external of the tank.

Hope all goes good for you.

-Mango

Thank you for your replies.

Mango4Jade: would you happen to have any pictures?

I had thought about using lucky bamboo plants, but wasn't very sure how well they would do. I was soley after a plant that bared leaves much like bamboo as I was intending on using thick dried bamboo for a feature tank.

But I have an arrangement of lucky bamboo, and have stalks of just the leaves, though they grow quite big. I may consider this if I can not find anything else.

Thanks again all!!!!

tykita: Is that the actually lucky bamboo plant or a plant which looks like bamboo leaves?

I'm not really after the lucky bamboo plant, I have these at home, and these can be brought cheaper at Cabramatta.

But I do realise that I have a stalk of just leaves which I may try and use....

Archived