Filter medium for trickle

htm

I read a post where someone said thay used plastic scourers as filter medium in a trickle filter. Has anyone else used it and is it the type that is bundle in 12 piece lots and is colored. If i am looking at the right stuff is the colour in the scourer a problem? Does any use the poly. balls found in bean bags and is it ok to use, and if so are there any problems associated with using them(longer terms perhaps).

Also i read someone used a hot glue gun to make fry savers. Are all the glue sticks non toxic as the packaging that i have come across says nothing about being non toxic.

appreciate any feed back

you have to use non scented/detergent scourers, I used home brand ones as a mechanical pre-filter.

I poly balls don't have much surface area & all float so probably not a good idea, plus if they get into the tank they are toxic to the fish.

no idea about the glue sticks sorry

I've used hot melt glue sticks for fry saver and used both branded Bostik and cheap ones from the $2 shop with no adverse affects.

When you can buy good quality Aussie made bio balls for $20/100 why would you bother with substitutes. THe best bio media I have ever used was fishing line, but it works out too expensive unless you cant get it very cheap somewhere.

Craig.

Archived