Fish Per Litre

Eaglebarret

I don't think there is an easy formula that you can use to calcalate the carrying capacity of your tanks. It will depend on a number of different factors i.e. fish species, filtration system used, maintenance regime and even the amount of decor in the tank. There are a number of different sites that will provide you with a rough guide to the stock rates for a number of different size tanks. I suppose the best one I have come across is the one at the Cichlid-Forum website

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/quic...erence_list.php

It allows you to select the size of the tank and gives you a variety of fish species and numbers that it will fit. But there are no hard and fast rules.

Gerard

the old formula used to be 1 inch per gallon but as gerard said there are a lot of variables, using a trickle filter would easily double even triple the carrying capacity also the capacty is somewhat determined by the surface area of the water, in theory a 2 foot high tank would hold no more fish than a standard tank but we all put more in anyway, some fish love to be crowded (mbuna) and some hate it (central americans) but if you give us some imformation about your intended stocking , filter etc someone on the forum should give you some sound advice

Archived