Help my oscar wont poo

benno

Hey guys can any one help me my big oscar hasnt done a poo for about a week and hes quite a bit swollen around the belly and anus area does anyone know what to do. He is just sitting onm the bottom of the tank. Help me please. Benno

There are a number of different methods of overcoming constipation in fish. I have not had to use any of them but someone may have had to deal with this problem.

Prevention is accomplished by providing a varied diet of foods suited for the species of fish kept.

Once fish have begun to swell up, a ten minute bath in a bucket of tank water with two teaspoons of Epsom Salt per gallon often loosens things up.

Feed dry food mixed with liquid medicinal parafin.

To what extent these methods solve the problem I am unsure. Hopefully someone may give you first hand experience.

Gerard

you can try to feed your oscar peas. peas are laxative and may aid in excreting out the clogged up junk inside. i did it for me, and he excreted it all out!

EDIT: i used frozen peas from woolies. make sure you take out the shell first. soak them in hot water, and the shells will gradually come off. if not, use your fingers to take them off once they've been in the hot water. careful not to burn your fingers !

Sorry to hear Benno sad.gif, if i can find you a new big oscar (or even a decent little one) ill let you know. I know it wont replace the old one but will help fill the gap smile.gif.

Anthony cool.gif

sorry to hear that mate. i myself have a big oscar and i know how it feels to have a sick oscar. Mine was diagnosed with hole in the head many weeks ago and he wasnt eating at all. he lost a lot of weight and i was pretty sure he was a gonner.

then one day, after many treatments of octozin, he finally started eating again, and since then he has made a 100% recovery and is healthly eating well now. though there's still a scar of the disease on its head. does it go away after time?

Archived