sponges for sponge filters?

htm

i was wondering if people who use sponge filters use the brand name sponge replacements or do they use some other form of sponge, say the sort of thing you might find at a clark rubber store.

A guyn i use to know in Melbourne who use to breed quite a few different cichlids use to use ordinary sponges from that particular store and said it worked fine. Also (something unrelated) the only thing he used in his water was sea water, to get the required pH and hardness,etc, anyone out there use sea water?

say the sort of thing you might find at a clark rubber store.

Thats where i get mine from, they have specialty aquarium safe stuff, its pretty cheap.

the only thing he used in his water was sea water, to get the required pH and hardness,etc, anyone out there use sea water?

He mixed sea water and tap water to get the right conditions for cichlids??? Im not into them, but thats the first ive heard of that method. Do they tolerate salt all that well?

At the time i knew him he was as i understood he bred alot of Dim. Comps. and other Malawi cichlids to the stores in Melb. It seemed to work for him. Cheaper option to buying specialty salts but i guess maybe it isnt the ideal for all africans.

laugh.gif Never heard of anyone mixing sea water with freshwater for cichlids, not only that but the chance that youll bring something in with the sea water is just way too high for my liking. If he was using seasalt i still think its silly but a diffrent story. If hes a cheapo who doesnt want to spend the money on salts tell him just not to use any for anything except GH and KH. Alot more people do this than are willing to admit but it seems to work for them. HTH thumb.gif Cheers Andy

Im no marine biologist but my understanding is that bacteria or nasties couldnt be tranfserred from sea water to fresh water and visa versa. I thought thats why people use fresh water feeder fish to feed their marines, because it was safe.

It was sea water and i guess its all relative, maybe cheapo if you have 1 or 2 tanks but perhaps not if you have 50 plus.

Archived