Noxious Fish?

alisterpate

Hello everyone

I was at the LFS here, researching my proposed next tank, when a shop assistant told me that he thought Jack Dempseys had been declared noxious and weren't allowed to be sold anymore here in Victoria.

Does anyone know if this is true? I know they aren't on the allowable import list, but from what I've read on the site makes me think that even though they can't be imported, they might still be allowed to be bred and sold...

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Alister

Timmy --

1. Piranha are dull. We are talking about silver dollars with teeth after all!

I've seen plenty o/seas... and they are w/out doubt the most over-rated aquarium fish.

2. Yep - illegal to keep Australia wide.

NB: I'm talking about red-bellies... some of the other "piranhas" were actually fairly spectacular aquarium fish smile.gif

These "you cant keep ***** or else" mixups seem to happen a lot in LFS. I was informed by an industry rep that weather loaches were illegal to be sold in NSW and carried a $7,000 fine if found in anything other than a display tank. Turns out that this ban is only in effect in QLD, not NSW. The point I am making is that never take things like that as gospel, always check it for yourself if it is of that much importance to you smile.gif

A lot of places are getting confused at the moment as too when the knew regulations take affect, untill that happens nothing has changed.

Dempseys and quite a few others have been put forward to be added to the noxious list but that doesnt mean it will happen, at the moment they are only noxious in SA, NT and maybe Tassie

Archived