Breeding behavours

MicksGotFish

Hey all!

Ok, my Male bristlenose in my 2ft has been spending a noticable ammount of time in a cave... not all day but close to and its always the same one... They are around breeding size.. This is only new he has been doing for about 4 days.

Is it normal?

Is he cleaning the cave for breeding??

I have noticed him trying to drag algae wafers into the cave its only small.

Thanks,

Mick

G'day Mick,

Yea, you barely see the males when they are ready to spawn, spawning or have eggs. So you may have some little surprises soon thumb.gif.

Ummm not sure of age.... but heres how I got them..

I bought 3 and one of them grew alot faster and is now about 6-7cm Male

The other 2 are going on 6cm with no bristles yet..

I bought 2 more one I think is a female (7cm no bristle) the other is a male...

Thats bout it...

Mick

G'day Mick

The fanning is normal behaviour for a male that is ready to spawn.

I recall reading that it may be a behaviour that is required to show that the male is ready and able to spawn. (the fanning action is the same as will be used once the eggs are layed).

Deep reath mate. Let nature take its course. The bristlies will breed when they are ready thumb.gif

HTH

Matthew...

Sometimes they'll "hold off" breeding if their cave is not enclosed enough. They need to feel safe and snug in their cave.

Therefore I'd suggest getting a few different caves (assuming you don't have any already) and that way they can choose the one they like.

The entrance to the cave can't be too open otherwise they won't breed (mine held off for ages until I adjusted their caves)

Feed them heaps also, they can really pack it away and they need it for conditioning.

Cheers raisehand.gif (just had to use that emoticon) laugh.gif

Richard

Archived