Telmatochromis dhonti

nick069

ok im goin to be purchasing a few Telmatochromis dhonti 'ornage", though the colour is dull, so im not too sure if its the orange or just the normal variety.

There is a link on the cichlid gallery

http://www.sydneycichlid.com/gallery/lampr...chromis_dhonti1

it looks orange, though the description doesnt say otherwise.

Just wondering if anyone can help me here.

Do they change colour, are they many orange dhontis avaliable?

nick!

Nik -

I dont know much about this species.

Ad's got only limited info in Tang 2. Says the fish has a wide distribution.

Its certainly not "orange" in my opinion (I'd call it the tan morph!). But a lovely fish regardless.

There arent many here to my knowledge so I think its likely they are all the same morph.

They look the same but different wink.gif to the ones in this post. I have seen fish for sale labelled as Telmatochromis dhonti that looked quite different to your pic. There are a few types of Telmatochromis about. None of them really common. I've been wanting some of these for a while. Dont know whether this really helps you though. Good luck with them. they are pretty cool. I think of them as shelldwelling julies unsure.gif

Cheers,

Jason

well the ones i will be purchasing looks a like a very pale orange, though what ever colour morph i will buy them anyway. Not much info on the net, not much pics as well. There is this link which is an example of an orange variant. this is probablly the best pics i can find on the net for this fish.

http://www.tomiakva.cz/foto/36.jpg

http://www.tomiakva.cz/foto/34.jpg

nick!

Hi,

I have the telmatochromis dhonti in question...I beleive that they are the orange varient one of my breeding females who has recenty passed was a lovely peachy orange on each side of her body the second female who is still with me I hardly ever see...as she is always hiding.....I have a nice pic of them which I will try and post later.....also fry will be ready for sale in 1-2months.

Cheers Christian blink.gif

Sorry only adult pics I have is a face on shot I have found them dificult to photograph:

I beleive these are T.dhonti "orange" adults

dhonti fry

thumb.gif

Hello,

The photo you are talking about was taken by me. It is my male dhonti. I purchased the fish from sooty as a dhonti, he did not say whether or not it was the orange variety. When i bought these fish i was not aware of colour varients so therefore did not think to ask. These fish breed like rabbits. I have always got fry, though they are slow growing and it appears the parents start to kill the young off once they reach a certain size, so i advise removing them from the tank containing the parents when they are about 1.5cm long.

Any how, sorry i cant help more than this, cheers,

Craig

thats a really nice picture you have there christian, looks ornage to me.

What size are they?, what size tank you have them in. I will try post some pics up when i get them, though it may be hard to photograph in an 8x2.

nick!

Hi Nick,

The male is around 8-10cm and the girl is 4-5cm, the tank they were in was a 75cm longx 30cmx 45cm high, which they bread in, I moved them to a standard 3 footer as it was easier to move them than catch all the fry. They have since bread again.

They are kept by them selves as I have found them quite fiesty towards other tank mates.

Cheers Christian

Archived