3ft Planted Tank.

mezzacam

Hello everyone. smile.gif

I have a 3ft planted tank, And i need help with filtration... At the moment, it has this big massive internal filter... that is on it's lowest settings, and it is still menacing the plants...

So i was just wondeirng, What would be the reccomended filter(s) to use? Also an exact model would be of much help, lol.

Anyhows, Once i get the filtration set up, I might take a few photos... I'm horrible at aquascaping tongue.gif but oh well..

All help will be greatly appreciated. smile.gif Cameorn. thumb.gif

I use HOB's, mainly cause they are cheap. People say cannisters are better cause they cause less CO2 loss, HOB's do cause a fair bit of CO2 loss, Make sure u put a piece of plastic over the outlet to stop surface water movement. What about a sump???? Many planted enthusiasts are turning to sumps. Constant water levels, places to put equipment and larger water volumes are always appealing. Thats what im going to try next time i set up a tank.

Grunge

I personally like canister filter for planted tank as said above I can place exactly where I want the intake and outlet and with the outlet I can choose how I want it to be eg spraybar,submersed in the water for minimal surface agitation or just set it up so it doesnt disturb the plants.

aquaclears are good but I couldnt plant anything tall under the aquaclear due the waterfall.

If i were you Id get the CF-1000 canister from ageofaquarium for 70 bucks though Ive never owned this brand but Im thinking to purchase one cos at that price I think its worth trying wink.gif

Hope that helps...

What do you mean by menacing the plants? Personally I'm not to worried about the filtration aspect of the filter, but with water movement.

I found that in my 3' tank, I have a internal filter (large Altman) and a canister filter (Rena XP-3); in my 4', I have the XP-3 as well as the largest Eheim internal. The plants do wave (of flap around if next to the outlet) in the current, but that was the best way I found to eliminate algae.

Unless your plants are being blown away, I wouldn't worry about it. I haven't found the HOB to be very useful in a planted aquarium, due to the CO2 loss, and also inadequate water movement; my wife tried one in her small 18" cube at work, and had algae problems, which disappeared when we put in a Fluval 204.

Ahh ok, Well it's not blowing them away, It's just my Stemmed plants that are at the back... I might have to get rid of them eventually, But i guess it's not to bad.

Can anyone reccommend some background plants?

Cheers Cameron. smile.gif

If it's deep enough Aponogeton Elongatus looks great "blowing" in the current. Any of the rosette plants (such as Aponogeton, Val, Echinodorus) would be good in the background as you don't have to prune as much.

Archived