Huge female bn

cbrian2

Hi is it normal for a female bn to be larger than a male cause I have a large female BN about 10 cm while the males is about 7 cm only. The age are the same and are put in the same tank.

I haven't seen a BN this big before. it even intimidates my male electric yellow which is about 10 cm...

hope I could share a photo of it but I don't know how and it rarely comes out of it's hiding place but man when it does comes out it look so amazing.

Yeah, Bristle nose can get to a fair size. But there is a lot of confusion when people state a fish size. In all scientific journals, and aquatic articles, fish are measured SL. That dose not include the tail (caudal fin), some fish have pretty fancy long tails.

That aside, there is no reason that a large female would not spawn with a smaller male !!! Happens all the time in my tanks. Commen for smaller males to be sitting on eggs while big males are staring each other down and the girls giving them a wide berth.

Alan

dont forget that there are at least a few subspecies, probably species around that are collectively called BN (reportably interbreedable for at least 1 generation). The greater sizes than quoted may be due to different species being examined. It could also be as simple a selection by breeders for larger and larger fish -- bigger is better after all --.

As for females larger than males, over the years I have bred BN, most of my males have been smaller than females, they never had any problems. Besides, the larger the female usually the more eggs you get.

Archived