Aulonocara sp.Turkis

GTR73

they are here.

But like most Aulonocara you need to get them from a reputable source... there are just too many hybrids. People dont keep these fish (Aulonocara) in species only tanks and IMHO are asking for trouble.

HTH -

Linebred! Hmmm, interesting. Actually looks almost linebred I guess. The fish looks like it's whole body has become the same colour of its head, if you know what I mean. unsure.gif

The Brisbane auction is coming up, so will keep an eye out for them. But not getting my hopes up. dry.gif

According to info on 1 site i looked at the turkis was line bred in Germany from a wild caught mutant Aul. stuartgranti chilumba. The site with this info is at

www.ohiexchange.com/armke/ hybridization_and_line_breeding.html

if you want more info do a google search for "Aulonocara turkis" and you will get about 50-60 sites to choose from

Bob

Sadly Mark - the only way to tell would be to do some molecular DNA work with them. However, there's only scant information available so much preliminary work would need to be done.

I was always under the impression that albinism was a genetic mutation. If i am correct then there is no need to hybridise in order to achieve an albino strain, all you need is a fish of the desired species which shows the mutation and then line breed to make the mutation a dominant feature. I am of course strictly an amatuer on the subject of genetics but i think i got that one right.

Bob

i think its more along the lines of that they needed a albino zebra to cross with the peacock to get the albino peacock , you need about 8 generations of crossing the young of the peacock cross just to make it semi look like a albino peacock , they must have zebra in them some place as ive seen marbled peacocks come out of albinos,

its much on the lines of how the early bird breeders got the lutino alexanderine by crossing it thru a ringneck to start with

Archived