Breeding Saratoga/Arow?

JimmyCalvus

I will state the obvious, most of which you probably already know.

Arowana/saratoga are usually spawned in large ponds consisting of 6-20 adult fish. They are mouthbrooders like africans cichlids, although it is the male, not the female who carries the eggs.

Their have been some reports of arowana spawning in the confines of a glass aquarium, although it is rare, still may be worth a shot.

i've only read one by an insane man who had TWO rooms dedicated to breeding the aros, I don't have the link but its document on net

he used one room for the 2 gold aros

and one room as his observation room with the full 'night vision' cameras and all that go.

I think it took 3 or 5 years to finally spawn them.

• 4 weeks later...

Richard, here's the link to the article you're talking about..

http://www.geocities.com/asianarowana_2000/a1.htm

While our good Japanese friend did succeed in breeding the Asian Gold arrowana, and he has clearly mapped out th parameters which he succeeded at, it does not say if it was a one-off success or he mananged to replicate the breeding over and over again. He mentions that the fish have bred many times in his 10year trial period, but most of the time the eggs were spat or swallowed.... Only once was it ever successful according to that article.

Maybe he's managed to successfully spawn them over and over again... I don't know.

Nonetheless, great read. Enjoy.

kev

Archived