Cost of a new tank setup's

tfoster

Hey all,

I'm looking at getting a new tank, since the cost of getting a cabinet and hood for my 3ft tank is almost the same as a new tank, cabinet and hood.

What would you expect to pay for a 4ft x 18 x 18 with cabinet and hood.

I have been given a price of $289 but I would need to stain the pine.

Cheers

Tim.

Yeah what he said.

I just built my own Cabinet and Hood over the weekend for a 48x18x18 and used $160 worth of pine, nails and screws.

Add the cost of a tank? $100 absolute minimum (most likely higher than this, but even at $100 it will raise an interesting point)

So, $160 + $100 thats $260 right there, for just materials on the Wood! No Labour!

I can conclude 4 things from your post.

1) The person who quoted you stuffed up and actually meant $469

2) The person building that setup has no idea and works for $3/ph

3) The stand is made to inferior quality and will fall apart

or 4) pine is at least 80% cheaper in Victoria than here in W.A

If you can really get it for $289 you should buy 10.

Well I havent seen the quality of the cabinet or tank, so it could be slapped together and will fall apart. Hence the reason for the post.

I'll have to find out all the details of the tank and cabinet.

MrOrange, what thickness do you use for your glass 7mm??

For the record I built my cabinet, Excluding timber ( as I got a deal on some old fence pailings) I spent about $150 ( primarily on Screws, hinges, bolts and the like including varnish etc) My labour was free ( joys of my prior career as a shipwright)

I would be a little worried about something so cheap.

In saying that, there is not much to building a cabinet that will hold the weight of a four footer.

If the guy is running machinery and doesn't give any frills then you could just hit that price. But I would be sceptical.

Also does the hood include a light? if not the minimum you would pay for a four foot light of some quality would be 30 bucks alone.

PS while I only have a four foot tank, my cabinet could hold 5 times the weight of my tank ( no joke, I built it to withstand a bomb laugh.gif ) Even still, it didn't add too much to the overall cost.

I will post some pics of it if you like.

tim, that price seems about right , i just got a 4x2x2 in 10mm glass with heritage cabinet and hood for $545 , so a standard 4 footer in 6 mm glass would be around that price , the cabinets arnt brilliant quality in the cheaper tanks but they do the job , just a tip , when you stain the hood , put the same number of coats on the inside as outside otherwise they warp, and get yoursef a fluro batten from john r turk or the like and you can mount it in the hood with a switch on the side for about $30 better than paying upward of $125 for a light!

The setup didnt come with a light, but has the space to mount a twin tube reflector.

My only concern was that the cost was way below what I should expect to pay.

I'm going to check the tanks and cabinets this week so i'll take a few pics if they will let em and post them to see what you all think.

Cheers

Tim.

in nsw most are made in 3or 4 small factories ,all aussie timber because the stamping on the structural pine is in english with aus standard on it , the glass however is usually chinese mainly because its clearer than aussie and syrian.

Hey all,

I'm looking at getting a new tank, since the cost of getting a cabinet and hood for my 3ft tank is almost the same as a new tank, cabinet and hood.

What would you expect to pay for a 4ft x 18 x 18 with cabinet and hood.

I have been given a price of $289 but I would need to stain the pine.

Cheers

Tim.

Tank 48"Long x 18"Wide x 20"

$120.00

Stand (or Colonial Cabnet for $137)

$89.00

Hood

$87.00 = $296

C/- Aquariums R Us

the glass however is usually chinese mainly because its clearer than aussie and syrian.

I think the main reason chinese glass is used is becuase it is cheaper. A mate of mine is a glazier and does fish tanks as a side. He refuses to use the chinese glass cos in his opinion it is far inferior in its quality. he only uses australian glass if he makes a tank.

Archived