Fish Identification Please

orcinus

it could be an aurora male about 4-6cm. It look a bit dodgy though. Mine look quite different. the only reason it say it could be an aurora is because of the little spots on the end of the dorsal fin and the blue in the tail etc.

I also think the blue is too much of a light blue to be an aurora. young males that should a little colour look different. The blue is a deeper purple blue and then gets lighter again as they get dominant (to a lighter blue).

That looks like a juvy Melanochromus JoanJohnsonae to me (exasporatus) however the head looks kinda hapish, very big eyes. It could well be stunted and thats why the doesn't look right.

It could be a cross.. It doesnt look like the aurora 'likoma' that I have been breeding:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I have heard that befor the 'likoma' variants came into the country a couple of years ago, there were some auroras around and they got crossed with other species. Lots of fish stores wont buy them unless they see photos and ensure that they are the 'likoma' variant.

It looks like a 4-6cm fish. It does have aurora traits but the blue is too turquoise or cobolt. The dorsal fin look quite similar. Mine have the little circles at the end of the fin, though the photo doesnt show them. Also theere is quite a steep spikey ascent from the base of the fin to the top, where the fin starts, like mine.

Archived