Saratoga Jardini compatibility

novafishy

Hey guys,

I currently have 4 pictus cats (8-9cm) and one Jardini (13cm) in my 6x2x2.

Will it be safe to put in a silver arowana or a Leichardti together (both around the same size as the J) with the Jardini? Or will they fight to the death?

I would ideally like to have a silver and my jardini in the same tank.

Thanks!

making a community with a jardini is very hard

atm my jar is abt 13 cm with fancy goldfish and its doing alrite atm

but later on it will start to get more aggressive and kill them so ill remove them later. but as i was saying keeping 2 arowanas together is very very hard to begin with.

most say 4+ for a community and thats not australian aros either thats for the asian species which are less aggressive

so i think comm a jardini with a silver will end up failing

Thanks for the reply Repz.

That's a bit disappointing, as I'd really like to get a silver, but no tank space atm.

My Jardini is REALLY skittish and jumpy. Everytime i go near the tank, it jumps and swims around trying to hide. I thought that the Leichardtis are the more skittish ones, and not the Jars.

How can I overcome this problem? Its pretty much a bare 6x2x2 with a smallish-medium sized rock in the middle.

My Jardini is REALLY skittish and jumpy. Everytime i go near the tank, it jumps and swims around trying to hide. I thought that the Leichardtis are the more skittish ones, and not the Jars.

According to Reddevilman they are LOL.gif IMO both Saratoga species are skittish and are prone to jumping. It is in their nature to jump from the water when hunting or when threatened. I have a leichardti ~12cm keep it in believe it or not an AR620T. He is some what jumpy, has got out once but that was when I got him. I know now to move slowly around and inside the tank. I watch him & when he starts to swim in bursts I stop.....then move again. Surprisingly he is not too bad now.

Water changes are smooth...but if i try to move or remove decor...watch out laugh.gif In fact he even jumps out of the water to feed from my hand. Im not sure if should keep encouraging this though tongue.gif

In a 6x2x2 I would have thought he would just swim away when your near. Should be heaps of room for a fish that size thumb.gif Like to give you more advice but this my first saratoga so Im not sure. I would imagine he just has to get used to you. Maybe try establish a pattern of interaction with it at least until it settles. Put some tankmates in. Maybe it needs to interact with other fish more. Sounds like its only interactions are when it gets spooked by you.

Good Luck thumb.gif

Hi -

To make fish less skittish you can try:

1. Using floating plants - any kind will do but "lace fern" sometimes called "water sprite" is a good one. Riccia, water lettuce, salvinia or duckweed all work also. Be aware the last two are noxious - so make sure you dont wash any down drains etc and dispose of appropriately.

Cover/paint all sides of the tank (except the front, obviously blush.gif). So the fish feel more secure.

Hope this helps -

Hi Dave,

THanks for the advice.

I have covered all sides except the front with white styrofoam. so hopefully that will insulate the tank a bit and block out more human movements. But wont the increased presense of humans help to the fish to be less skittish?

I reckon its simply because the 6x2 tank is just plain bare. no gravel, only a rock in the middle, and the filter at one end.

i will try some floating plants. It is eating alright. I just have to sit still for a few minutes before it settles down and starts eating the pellets/frozen foods. And as soon as i start moving again, it will go in a jumping frenzy and crash into the side walls of the tank. mad.gif

Archived