Can Julidochromis and Shellies co-exist?

yhbae

I am about to setup a new 33g (3ft) and I am intrigued by the shellies and their behaviours - I must have them! :D I have never setup a drift lake cichlid tank before.

The one that caught my attention is Neolamprologus Similis.

Julidochromis also seem very interesting too - unlike anything else I've experienced so far (which are non drift-lake species). I could go with either Julidochromis ornatus or Julidochromis dickfeldi.

So I was wondering if I can hold both of them in the same tank. And if this is feasible, is there any other species I can accomodate? (I plan to buy some juverniles of each species).

Appreciate any feedback!

Hi

I would give it ago. have a few rocks in the tankfor the julies to hide in and have the shellies at the other end.

most shellies can usually take care of themself so no dramas, just watch any fry dont get eaten by the other fishes.

Im sure they would co-exist very peacefully, if set-upp correctly, i'd recomend having a rock pile at one end and heving an open space at the front and to one side. The shellies should also have many shells also.

HTH

lee

I'md be careful of this combo as julies can get very stroppy, especially when they breed.

I have kept J. transcriptus and occelatus in the same tank (a 4') and it ended badly with the julies constantly hunting the occies into their shells and beating them up and for anyone who's kept occies in the past you'd know that it takes a pretty hard fish to do this.

Good luck

Mick

Since my main purpose of this setup is to breed, perhaps I should re-think and get 2 15g tank (2ft) instead? I'm sure I can find a way to fill up the 33g for other purposes... biggrin.gif

My plan was to put alot of rocks on one side, nothing in the middle (or sand with lots of java fern attached to some stones - hopefully this will partially help control nitrate levels), and only sand on the other side with lots of shells. (as suggested by trofius). Obviously, the middle region will be far smaller than either sides.

From what I have read so far, J. transcriptus is the smallest and least aggressive or all Julies, and multis are the smallest and least aggressive shellies. I just want to pick one julie species and one shellies. Can I still get a way with one 3ft tank with the above setup, or should I really setup a separate 15g for each species?

I have julie gombis breedign in a 30" and have split the tank innhalf and have one pair each end.

Both have started breeding with the first pair having multiple spawnings all swimming in the tank that the whole half of the tank is nearly full.

I couldn't put anyhting else in there even if i wanted to. The julies are very violent towards any other fish in their tank when breeding in my opinion.

I would get a std 2 ft or even std 18" for one pair of julies. Easies way to get a pair is buy about six and the last two alive or not in the corner are your future breeding pair.

Only place i have 8 julies of adult size together is my large dispaly tank with lots of other fish and heaps of rocks for hiding in.

I also find my julies prefer to spawn under rock piles not in shells. I only build the piles pretty low and then that leaves plenty of swin=mming rom for the babies you will get once they start breeding, they are very prolific once started.

Mark

Thanks for the feedback!

Your message got me wondering though... Since I do have a tank divider for 33g tank, can I use this to create two 18" tanks? (after all, my 33g is a 3ft tank). It currently has one AquaClear 300 so I suppose I can add another, say, AquaClear 200 on the other end. Then I don't have to worry about julies eating/killing multis on the other side...

Would this work? Of course, this is assuming rocks on julie side and sand on multis side...

Cant see any reason why you couldn't divide the tank that way at all.

Then you get both in the one tank. I wouldn't worry about any more than the aquaclear 300 myself, the current will still flow through the tank no problems.

I am assuming that your divider is that white similar egg crate stuff covered in fiberglass flywire.

Mark

I am assuming that your divider is that white similar egg crate stuff covered in fiberglass flywire.

Not really...

Mine looks like a plastic film with lots of drilled holes. Each hole is about 1mm in size and they are about 5mm apart. I'm sure the water current will go through this, but what about the other yucky particles that the filter is supposed to pick up? (Actually, even the net-type of divider would have a same issue, I'd imagine)...

That was the only reason for suggesting another filter in the first place...

Also, if I do end up with only one filter, which side should it be placed in? In other words, which species enjoy more current - Julie or Multis?

Again, appreciate any feedback! biggrin.gif

I guess the size is less relevant - what I am after, is the julie species that requires the least amount of tank space. Usually, size and the space requirements go hand to hand, except when aggression factor is taken into account.

So if you take into account both the size and aggression, which species of julie would require the least amount of room?

Archived