Pleco & Red Devil

Ant

Well after much thaught about what i want to put in my 4ft tank ive come across a beautiful Amphilophus Labiatus (red devil). I am assured that it is pure blood (imported parents), the good thing about it is that i'm getting it for nothing smile.gif. The little fella is going in my 4ft tank (yes i don't plan on keeping him there) but i was wondering if he'll play nicely with my chocolate pleco? or will he try to kill him? The Red D will be 6" which is the same size as the pleco.

Thanks in advance

Anthony thumb.gif

i have a pair of devils in a 3x2x2.5 which i think is big enough for them by themselves and they're housed with a chocolate pleco all of similar sizes

the male will occasionly chase him away but never attacks him

and when the pleco ventures into the males cave he is usually hurried along pretty quickly

while my devils are aggresive towards other fish and eachother at times they tend to ignore the pleco

but each fish is different, only way to know is to give it a go thumb.gif

oh oops hes a pure Citrinellum not Labiatus, nearly made the same mistake as many others have made in the past.....laugh.gif. Oh, and yes his parents were imported and am 99% sure he is pure.

I put him with the pleco and he tried to eat him blink.gif, so i moved the pleco to the 6ft tank, but he's gettin his but kicked by the L1 at the moment but they should sort them selves out (i hope). The Midas is a cute little fella wub.gif, i promised my girlfriend she could name him.....oh god i hope she doesn't give him a girly name rolleyes.gif. I've been told that it is a male as he killed several of his siblings (not that females can't do this).

Anthony cool.gif

PS: Thanks to Smooth for my new little big fishy, will definately look after him mate, hope you enjoy the beer as much as ill enjoy the little fella whos watchin me at the computer right now thumb.gif.

ant at that size their very easy to sex , the male has a very fine pipe(not the scientific name) hanging out about 1mm thick, the females pipe is much broader about 2-3 mm and pointing forward slightly ,the usual way to sex americans - the length of the dorsal fin doesnt work with devils as the female usually has a fairly elaborate dorsal ,if you see a male and female together the difference is quite noticable(theres a lfs in the south west selling 2 males as a breeding pair) good luck with your new pet , imo the red devil is the true "king of aquarium fish" thumb.gif

Is it still common to call 'Midas' cichlids 'red devil'? I think considering mine is pure i shouldn't refure to him as 'red devil', just an after thaught blink.gif

Anthony cool.gif

i doubt very much if theres any pure midas or red devils around , they even hybridise in the wild , our rd's tend to be more midas , in the u.s.a. and europe their more devily ,ive said this before in previous posts ,i dont think ive ever seen a pure red devil in australia ,

This guys parents are from Malasia. But as i've been told by ducksta, if the line is more than three years old he is most likely a hybrid as they apparently weren't even recognised as different species untill a few or more years back. But yea i was assured that he was pure but is most possable that he is not sad.gif, but you never know wink.gif... laugh.gif.

Anthony blink.gif

OK i'm an idiot laugh.gif , i made a mistake of believing what i wanted to hear. I will retract my statement that he is pure. I've noticed the irony of saying that the parents came from malasia, considering that malasia is the flowerhorn capital rolleyes.gif, i've figured that it is 99% possable that it is hybrid laugh.gif. How ever the person who gave it to me is adiment that it is pure.

What would a pure Citrinellum look like? Can people have a look at my pics and tell me why they think mine may be hybrid or pure:

Gilbert is 4-5"

http://ace.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=13501

Archived