What fish is this?

davez104

hmm...my guess is that it is a juvie O. Lithobate or a female, or it has O.Lithobate blood.

How big are they? C.Morri are grey when they are fry (3-4 cm) and i know they do have markings like that. However i've never seen any with egg spots, which leads me to believe what i stated above or it is a C.Morri hybrid rather than lithobate.

I'm no expert on Haps so hopefully someone can confirm this for you.

Anthony cool.gif

I agree that the fish is indeed an Otopharynx. However, it is definitely not elongate enough to be lithobates - too tall in the body, and much lighter in colour. Likewise, having had tetraspilus of my own, I would say that this fish is a little too silvery to be that species. O. tetraspilus specimens, regardles of sex, always sport a rich golden colour.

The fish bears striking resemblance to one we photographed on my recent trip to Malawi. I'll try to find the photo and dig it out for you. Meanwhile, I'll put my thinking cap on and try to remember the name of what I think it might be.

No, you're not dreaming, I really AM answering a fish post... LOL.gif

Cheers,

Andrew.

Most definitely not rostratus. If they are more gold than in the photo, then I would happily agree with O. tetraspilus.

It's a shame, but because these things aren't importable, they tend to be inbred rather quickly once they get here. This does cause colour/quality loss through subsequent generations. A good O. tetraspilus has a beautiful golden colour in the body.

Archived