Nigel needs help

Cichlids_au

Hi everyone

Nigel has a corruption problem with his Windows 2000, and needs help.

If anyone has a copy of 2000 and think they may be able to help him, please give him a call on 96329496.

Obviously e-mails won't get to him for a while so if anyone has other business with him please call him and don't wait for him to e-mail you.

Thanx for your help in advance.

Mark

His hard disk is gone mate. The BIOS doesn't detect it and even when I try to reinstall Windows 2000 it says there is no hard disk attached. I advised him to get a new hard drive as there's not much else I can really do unless he wanted me to pull apart his laptop.

Cheers

Paul

hi before nigel gets a new hard drive c if you can find a program called easy recovery pro and install it on another puter that has enough free space on it to copy the entire contents of stuffed drive onto it then plug the bad drive in, turn puter back on and run easy reco.this alows you to recover 99% of the data on the drive anyway might help

iain

I would open up the case (if it isnt under warranty) and pull the data and power cable all the way out. Put them back in tight, and then see if it detects.

If its a new drive he attempted to put in, it might be a jumper setting......but if it was working, then just quit, its either a cable, or drive went dead.

I would give a call, but Im in the states lol

I am a network administrator for a large call center, so if anyone has any computer problem, please ask :unsure

Nigel's computer is a laptops?

I've not had a lot of experience fixing laptops but I've fixed 100s of full machines. First to do is as stated above is to plug the cables in again. Second is to check the power supply. 3rd is to replace the data cable with a known good one. If the mother board has a second IDE port I'd be trying that one, IDE controllers do fail. Before buying a new drive I would put the suspect drive into a known good box. If still not visable to BIOS, I would then assume the drive is buggered, but I doubt it is.

Craig.

there is no use in taking all the parks out and the puting them in more tightly cos it wouldnt be lose after all these times hes been using it, like one of you guys said its the HDD its the prblem so getting a new one will do the job.

another way you can check is to take out your old HHD with the problem (presumably) and try it on another laptop. if it detects then its a cable problem if not then its most likely your HHD.

i've seen even worst case where the non detecting of the HHD is because the motherboard is not functioning properly. lets nope thats not the cse cos if you want to get a decent motherboard for a laptop these days, it will cost you alot.

hope i helped in some way....

Anyone here tried to pull a laptop apart, I've done it for my Toshiba but its a pain in the buM as all the parts are so much closer to each other. Have fun trying to swap hard drives and checking for cables in such a cramped environment.

If you know exactly what you're doing, it could be simple and work out to be cheaper but from personal experience it takes a loooooooong time trying to troubleshoot the actual cause of the problem (in Nigels case it could be one of many) and chasing the parts. Their needs to be some consideration if hardware needs to be replaced as some parts are harder to find than others. Remember that this is a laptop, not all parts are the same size and easy to find as on a standard desktop PC e.g RAM, cable lengths etc.

Best advice for Nigel is to contact Compaq and let one of their qualified technicians do the job or a computer shop that is willing to go around chasing the parts and fix it for him. Spending that bit of extra money will save him alot of time and headaches.

Cheers

Paul

Archived