4x2x2 filtration

efc01

I have a 4x2x2 Tang tank and looking for a good filter. I have a budget of $300 and was wondering what people think about the fluval 404 and the Eheim classic 2217.

Thanks in advance

Nick

ive got a 4x2x2 and run an eheim 2217 , ichose it because parts are readily available- even years down the track , a few years back i had to throw out a 2 year old fluval because they changed the design and impellers wernt available ,so i wont buy another out of principal . the 2217 has been great -no problems at all ,i got mine at auburn aquarium with taps and media for $215 which is no good to you living in queensland , but it gives you an idea of the price to look for

The ehiem`s are a top filter and i own a 2215 but a good mate is running all fluvals are they work like a charm, slightly better "bang for buck". Also much easier to maintain, the hoses seem to clog less and the quick clip off from the top of the filter is much better design than the ehiem one IMO. Just my $0.02 cents Good luck Cheers Andy

I know they are not the same anymore but I am runnning an old Fluval that has never let me down and I have had no trouble getting a new impeller or an O-ring.

However, I am also running 3 Eheim 2217's and they are hard to beat, IMHO.

If you have $300 to spend you should be able to afford, if you shop HARD, a 2217 and an AC300(you may have to add freight to you budget for some/all items) or an internal Powerhead to compliment/back-up the canister.

I think the 2217-AC300, combination would be hard to beat for reliability and availability of parts. I think that works out to be turning the tank over 5-6 times/Hr and offers good filtration...one filter you clean when you do your weekly water changes(takes 5 minutes) and one that you clean every few months, depending on the numbers and the feeding regime. Also gives you some leeway with filtration media, allowing you to have the 2217 set up for pure Biological filtration with 2 stage-1's in the AC300...I think you would be set.

HTH

Cheers for your help everyone! I will go with the Eheim, i just need to hunt around for the best price. I already have an otto power head filter that pumps around 2000lph. I have a fluval 404 and an Eheim 2028 on my 6x2x2 they work great on a stocked Tang tank. Just wanted to know what people thought about the fluval Vs The Eheim.

Cheers

Nick

Archived