Whoops!

ViS

I was just down adding tang buffer to my system, and I accidentally spilled some from the bucket into the sump ohmy.gif

So the system got about 4 scoops instead of 1 mad.gif

The pH went from 7.8 to over 9.0 within 5 minutes sadsmiley02.gif

Unfortunately the fry tanks are the lowest so they bore the brunt of the cloudy water.

If I go back down in 10 minutes and all my fish are dead, consider this my resignation laugh.gif

All I can do it add some fresh water and dilute it down a touch.....

Well an hour later and the pH has settled back to 8.4 wink.gif

The tanks are still cloudy and the pH rise and 100 litres of fresh water seems to have triggered half of them to spawn laugh.gif

Now is the time you edit your first post and start bragging about how you found a way for your cichlids to breed laugh.gif

Well an hour later and the pH has settled back to 8.4 

The tanks are still cloudy and the pH rise and 100 litres of fresh water seems to have triggered half of them to spawn

I was told once by a discus breeder to get them to breed, when you do a water change turn the temp down 4degs and then slowly turn in up 8 degs over a few days then do another water change. He swears it worked every time. reckons it mimicks rainfall patterens or something... Maybe you just found the key breeders have been hunting for.. I wouldn't want to try it myself though..

If you think about it... there really shouldn't have been cause for concern.

The whole idea of a Ph buffer is that it is going to seek a Ph equilibrium.

Drop it into a tank with low Ph and it'll react to free up Hydrogen thus raising the Ph,

drop it into an already alkaline solution and it'll react to assimilate Hydrogen thus lowering the Ph.

The difference between a standard dose and a huge overdose is a very temporary spike as it seeks it's equilibrium point and an increase in dissolved salts measurable as Gh. I can't imagine a rapid rise in Gh being too good for the fish but it's at least not usually lethal whereas a rapid drop can be.

Archived