Sexing Acei

Eaglebarret

its not easy to sex acei. generally males tend to get a deeper body and have more pointed fins. thats about the only way I have been able to sex them outside of venting them (which is always fairly easy). they breed like rabbits anyway so as long as you have one girl in a group you have the power to populate the world with acei! LOL.gif

There are different methods used to sex Acei but as Kinerata said venting is the best method.

People use some altenatives to sex them less accurately

Males and females possessing more egg spots on ventral fin

Males growing larger than females

Behaviour - males more reclusive than females.

So venting is the best method

Gerard

you know we should have all just said the ones that get mouthfuls are the girls thumb.gif

the funny bit is its usually the way I sex fish like maingano, acei and any other mbuna that aren't sexually dimorphic. Its just less stress on the fish, plus you get to choose the best coloured males once you have taken all the girls out. too often we just pick the biggest and easiest to spot. its a great way to keep the standard of fish you own nice and high.

I agree with Gav (and also a little with darkmuncan laugh.gif )

Just wait until they start breeding. Mine usually all get mouthfuls within a day or two of each other. Then separate the females to brood and keep them as part of your colony once they spit.

If you need to know and can't vent properly, the males will get a longer dorsal and will usually show some white in the dorsal, while the females dorsal stays solid yellow.

If they are over 6cm, they are easily vent sexed. thumb.gif

Archived