Mangrove Jack

Dale

Does anybody know about keeping a Mangrove Jack? I currently have a Mangrove Jack around 500-600g & about 25cm long.

I currently add about 1 to 2 teaspoon of salt to every 8 liters of water during water change.

At which stage do I need to start introducing full salt water or will the Jack be ok in brackish water?

Your Jack does not need full salt water. Brackish will be fine. Alot of folks keep jacks in pure fresh their whole lives. Thy are also stocked in freshwater dams. If he is not acting unusual, I would suggest keeping him on fresh for as long as possible. If they are shy/timid alot, A bit of salt can perk them up.

Cheers,

Jason

You might consider feeding the MJ a few fish with a little bit of salt in them (like white bait). Unless you were planning on breeding with it i would just keep doing what you are doing with the 2 teaspoon of salt to every 8 liters.

Thanks for the info; I have always feed the Jack with white bait and prawns some times after finding out how much live food he can eat. The way he is growing I will have to look at relocating into a 6+2+2 soon, currently in an Aqua 980.

Archived