unhealth mollies

koiboi

hi,

I saved a few mollies from being flushed last week...figured that I would let them live out their natural lives in one of my tanks...they look quite pathetic atm...skinny, not swinmming happily, hiding etc....any suggestions? I am feeding them sirulina - are there any fish vitamins etc??? or can someone recommend anything other than spirulina?

thanks

have they lost colour, or is their colour patchy?

you said that they were not swimming well, does it seem like they are gasping for air?

if possible post some pics so that we can see if they have been neglected or have some form of parasitic or fungal infection.

if it was me i would keep them in a hospital tank and add some form of general antiseptic.

spirulina is ok but maybe supplement that with some good tropical flakes or even some bloodworms for added protien.

Thanks Katanaone...their colour is a little patchy and they dont seem to be gasping for air...I'll try and get some pics this weekend...I'll try your suggestion of the tropical flakes and bloodowrm...thnx again

Koiboi -

Mollies need hard alkaline and moreover salty (brackish) water.

Would recommend adding 2teasp of rock salt / 5 litres of water. Mollies do well in this - use a shell grit substrate to make sure the pH is right.

Mollies will eat most generic foods. Tetra/Sera are good.

HTH -

I have kept mollies before and found that they preferred the brackish conditions that Yew mentions. I found that their growth under fresh water conditions was less than ideal. The dorsal fins on Sailfin mollies was much better in water that had salt added to it.

The following link shows that they will tolerate a range of salt levels.

Marine Mollies

Gerard

• 2 years later...

if they have tiny white spots there may not be enough salt in the water, they are slightly brackish

i have a black mollie, and recently ive seen that its lip has a small white patch/spot on the corner, very tiny and the tail fin has a small grey patch..

i feed it just normal goldfish/tropcal flakes..

swims fine, not air gasping, was in a tank with africans, 7.6 ph .. not getting attacked, in fact chasing most of them around ..

i put it in sisters tank and its there by itself to quicken the cycle up, near teh end of the cycle period for it and today i noticed it did a white poo.. never seen this before..

not off food or anything.. is this normal?

i have a black mollie, and recently ive seen that its lip has a small white patch/spot on the corner, very tiny and the tail fin has a small grey patch..

It may have ich ... often fish will be fine with it for weeks or even months, and then weaken and die. Cure for that is to up the temperature (~28 deg) and salt content (1tsp per 5L).

It may have ich ... often fish will be fine with it for weeks or even months, and then weaken and die. Cure for that is to up the temperature (~28 deg) and salt content (1tsp per 5L).

agreed..add some salt in as they like it

also fish that hav white poos could hav some sort of intestinal parasites to try treating with somthing to get rid of these...u can never be too safe

Archived