German Rams

gingerbeer

Something I have been considering for a while.

Most acknowledge German blood line in cichlids as being high quality. If I breed my German Rams are the young German, or should we call them first generation Australian Rams??? :lol:

What do you think???

Cheers,

Steve

Blue Rams (local bred, German bloodlines) is what I would call it. Either way, I would certainly prefer to buy locally bred rams than what some shops label as German Rams! I have recently aquired some local bred Blue Rams from tiny fry size and they have grown at high speed and have proven to be easy to care for.

They are now forming pairs for breeding.

Are you breeding these guys ?

Hi All -

I think all rams (german or otherwise) are touchy little critters best left to the experts (ie: fishkeepers other than me).

I always had more success with their underrated cousin the bolivian ram! Which is a great little fish in its own right.

Daniel,

I am trying to. I have never raised any more than 15 from a spawn. Difficulty I have is getting them to eat.

I have tried vinigar eels before. Currently have tank full of java moss, and frozen baby brine shrimp.

Last breed I had three Rams in the tank, and thought the pair had killed the other. Turns out they hadn't and the remaining Ram was eating the young. Hence have 10 fry left.

Yew,

I don't think Rams fully deserve the reputation they have. Some Rams are almost guaranteed to die, and I think they are generally the ones bred from asia. Authentic German Rams and locally bred are much tougher.

The secret is getting quality to start of with and this is getting easier all the time. At one time the fish farm in Tassie was breeding some good Rams (not sure about now, anyone know??), Lams in Parramatta fairly regularly get good German Rams and other importers seem to be bringing in more good ones too.

Give them another go, they are definitely the prettiest fish around and very friendly.

Bolivian Rams are certainly another great dwarf in there own right, and a great first dwarf. I don't think much of the quality of some I see but.

Archived