My camera is broken...

Willy Wombat

My digi cam is broken, so i wont have an opportunity to take any nice fishy pics for a little while. I took it on a plane as hand luggage and when i got off it wouldnt turn on. It has a nasty rattle, so i figure that something inside it has come loose. Im so sad sad.gif as the regular viewers of this forum would know i loved taking fishy and other non-fishy shots.

WW huh.gif

I only got 12 month waranty, so that expired last year

Fiji fine pix S304.

Im thinking about a significant upgrade, but i didnt really need that expense right now... mad.gif

I hear you Lepperfish.

Nikon D70 will be my cam of choice i think. Some nice deals available on ebay right now. BUT Must first pay off christmas credit card bill due any day now.... dry.gif

I hear you Lepperfish.

Nikon D70 will be my cam of choice i think. Some nice deals available on ebay right now. BUT Must first pay off christmas credit card bill due any day now.... dry.gif

Just a word of warning WW..

I too have investigated camera's from ebay and I wouldnt risk it..

Alot of cameras there are grey imports from Hong Kong and USA, factory seconds or refurbished units..

For a couple of hundred dollars extra Id buy from a business in person..

For the price Nikon D70 is hard to beat..

Im going to wait and find a really good deal on a Canon 20D..

Thanks for that tip Lepperfish - i will keep that in mind when i save up a few more dollars.

A Cannon 20D would be my choice if i was a rich man.

People say they have seen the Nikon D70 for around 1500-1700AU$..

I have seen it for AU$1900..

Canon have seen for around AU$2350-2500..

Depends if you need those extra features and which manufacturer you prefer..

To me the canon looks like a better build. I have played with it in a camera shop and the feel of the camera is 2nd to none.. Very nice feel it has.. Saying that I havent held the D70 yet but I doubt it would be as nice as the canon..

D70 on a budget yes..

20D on a slighty higher budget..

Both excellent cameras..

Gimme the 20D now.. LOL.. tongue.gif

One thing to remember though, the underwater cases for a DSLR are a fair bit more expensive than a standard digi cam housing (I guess due to the extra length of the lens and the fact they are not mass producing them.)

You can get the 6.0MP olympus with housing for a little under $1300 I believe. (will confirm)

Also a very nice camera that is close to DSLR without the name is the Olympus C-8080 8.0MP camera. You can pick it up on sale for around $1100 if you shop around. The retail on it is $1599.

I haven't seen one in the flesh, but Olympus and Nikon are the favoured cameras used by scuba divers. The c-8080 seems a bit more compact than the DSLR's. Depends on what you want I guess.

Nikon do a Coolpix 8700 8.0MP camera for around the same price ($1100 - $1200 on special).

Either would produce awesome quality pics (The average joe wouldn't tell the difference between their pics and a DSLR pic). Plus, they are a better underwater camera. The problem with dslr's is the inability to use their functions easily underwater.

At least with the 8700 or 8080, the "point and shoot" option is there until you get the hang of it. (yes I know you can pont and shoot with a D70 etc too but not as easily according to the reviews).

Archived