Breeding earth eaters

fishie4me

i was wondering if anyone here would know some tips on breeding these guys, like what temperature, PH and all. plus can i keep other types of earther eater in the same tank and will it effect the breeding. also how about catfish, can they be kept in the same tank? like will they eat the eggs? of wil the parents chase them away.

Geophagus brachybranchus is a biparental mouthbrooder. That is, both male and females form a bond and share the responsibility for holding the fertilised eggs in their mouths. The disadvantage of this is that you require a male/female ratio as opposed to setting up a breeding colony (one male/several females). They tend to have a set territory which they guard from other conspecific species which makes them mildly aggressive to other earth eaters. Generally though they are referred to as a peaceful species but there are variations in their temperaments. Maximum size is 25 cm with the females being slightly smaller. Water requirements include: temperature needs to be around 26 degrees, pH less than 7 and the water “soft”. I am not sure how they will go with your catfish.

Ged

Archived