Breeding and Tank setups

mickgibbo

Hello,

Im new to this game and have many questions and since I have found this site I have had alot answered.

First of all I would like to get the members to show me there breeding and tank setups with pictures as I have 2 X 4foot tank, one display 1 holding fish(barra and oscar), I have 1x 3 foot (trying to breed Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda" they are still way too small and holding baby convicts)and 1X2foot (tall) (breeding Convicts),

How do you have them out of the way but still possible to clean them.

What sorf of filters do you use?? Do you have a method to maintaining them.

Any Info and Pictures would be great, thanks

Mike

first of all welcome to the game you're in good company... sorry no pics

as for the filter, when choosing a filter a few factors must be taken into consideration

firstly, it depends on the size/volume of the tank in question (just yesterday i was having a discussion (ant laugh.gif ) about a canister filter being overkill for a 2foot tank)and of course on the inhabitants chosen because some fish are very messy eaters and after a large meal a large present is left behind laugh.gif

i'm pretty fussy when it comes to filtration so i usually have 2 (or more) types of filtration in all my tanks.

2ft tank or smaller: either an aquaclear/similar hang on back filters or an internal powerhead filter, whichever of the two running in conjunction with an undergravel filter.

if i am using a small tank for raising fry though i would definately use a sponge filter of some description.

internal powerhead brands that i have used: aquaone...happy with it so i'll probably stick to it.

hob filter brands: aquaclear all the way but some others are ok aswell.

sponge and undergravel filter brands: don't think it matters.

3ft,4ft tanks: IMO anything 100L + is getting into Canister filter country, but as i said i'm fussy so usually add either an aquaclear/similar hob filter or an internal powerhead filter, whichever of the two running in conjunction with an undergravel filter to make me feel more secure.

Canister filter brands: ehiem and fluval are probably the most popular but i don't mind the jebo or rena range either...resun zipit.gif

5ft, 6ft tanks: probably 2 large canisters and a large aquaclear or 2 large powerheads (fussy), when you are considering tanks this size and larger(or breeding setups) a it would be a good idea to start thinking about some form of minireef filtration system.

how do the barra and oscar do together? hope you know that 4footer is probably only temporarily going to be enough for them.

convicts will just about breed in anything,

what did you mean by this:

I have 1x 3 foot (trying to breed Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda" they are still way too small and holding baby convicts)

and this:

How do you have them out of the way but still possible to clean them.

i write down when i clean my filters out (also water changes, buying new fish etc.) and depending on what filter it is gets the next clean when it is due for example the sponges and impellor in my internal powerhead filter from my four foot tank gets cleaned on every 4th waterchange.

hope this all helps.

cheers mate ... ryan.

Thaks for a great reply, suprisingly the oscar and the Barra get on really well and the Oscar copies the barra in hunting etc.

How often should I clean the filter media in My canister filters and AquaClear etc??

The 3 foot tank I have is holding the Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda' but is also holding 100 baby convicts as I had no where else to put them.

Do you have your tanks up on the wall or somewhere, where you can walk around them completely.

Also when should fry be removed from the parents.

How often should I clean the filter media in My canister filters and AquaClear etc??

how often do you do a waterchange? i clean my canisters every 4months (3 times a year) aquaclears about 1 a month. but others may do it differently, try and get a wide range of oppinions before you decide.

Do you have your tanks up on the wall or somewhere, where you can walk around them completely.

hahahahah, mate my tanks are everywhere! laugh.gif

Also when should fry be removed from the parents.

well that depends on you, some people like to keep fry with parents, others like to remove them as soon as possible. let the parents stay with the fry for the first few times, if you find that the parents always eat the fry then you know what to do the next time. i find that fry will grow faster in the presence of their parents.

Thanks for the great advice, Im glad I came across this website when I did. I will head out to the meeting today and see what its all about.

Thanks again

Mike

If anyone else would like to add their 2cents worth feel free.

G'day

For multiple tanks, have a look here.

Tank Rack

I have built ones just the same as this one that Baz built for me! They are great.

The design is also very easy to modify for differnt sized tanks. (I built one stand that takes a 6x2x2, 2x 4ft and 2x 2ft tanks)

Filtration well that is another thing altogether. There are numerous methods available. They range from simple corner filters (plastic air powered units with just filter wool, don't laugh I have seen some extremely fussy Tangs breed in a 6x2x2 that simply had these as filtration blink.gif ), to "Ice cream" filters, to side drop filters, to internal electric filters, to hang on filters to cannister filters and then on to trickle filters. There are many options and the right filtration is demanded for varying situations.

All I will say on the matter atm, is that to have too much filtration is always the best option. Eg, instead of having just one filter in a tank have two.

For advice on what filtration to have simply suggest what you want in to put in the tank and I am sure some opinions will be fourthcoming.

HTH

I have 1x 3 foot (trying to breed Aulonocara sp. "Lwanda"

I have a 3FT that I'm planning to breed Aulonocara Kandeense which are currently juvenile. My first time at breeding.

It is downstairs in my garage on a timber table that I re-inforced with metal braces to take the load of the 3FT and eventually a 2FT that I will use for the Fry nursery tank.

Currently have an Otto internal canister filter in the 3FT but have room on the table for a larger capacity external filter when the fish mature. I will use the internal Otto in the 2FT.

I've been told one of the keys to breeding is excellent water quality so I am now in the routine of doing weekly water changes. I have easy access to the garden hose which has a spray-gun attachment and use an extra large sized bucket to make it all quicker and non messy.

My only regret was possibly placing the whole set-up next to the laundry so I'll probably need to get covers for the tanks!

I will take a few photos tonight and post them on here for you.

Also, I have a Jebo external canister that has been fantastic for my display tank so can recommend them on value for money.

Cheers.

Archived