Neo Multis (first attempt at posting a piccy)

dan_thefish_man

Dan -

Only post images YOU have hosted on your own space.

Here's why:

I thought I'd put this post up to explain what bandwidth theft is and ask all users NOT to do this.

When you call an image (using the [ img ] tag) into your post it uses bandwidth from whichever server you've pulled it from.

This forum as most ppl are aware is quite busy - and so the image gets "called" from the server everytime someone views a thread. Individual threads (ie: Topics) can sometimes have over well over 1000 views (assuming it is a popular thread). Obviously if this is your own server/webspace this is fine (I like to see pics in the forum as much as anyone). If it isn't your own server here's how the problem grows:

So let's say it is 2 x 25 k images... this is 50,000(bytes) x 1000 (views) = 50, 000, 000 (or 50 megs) being pulled from this server (assuming it is not cached by your browsers). Obviously this is a worst case scenario.

So, where's the problem you ask? Well - we webmasters PAY for bandwidth. By stealing it and hotlinking to images you don't own you are increasing our costs. I know this from from personal experience, I once received a extra $90 bill for excessive bandwidth from my web host. I looked up my stats and found that 15 of my images were being used in a very popular thread on one of the larger US fish forums. I contacted the people involved and sent some unpleasant emails and thankfully this piracy stopped.

The moral of the story is - if you want to post an image you don't own or aren't hosting there are a few simple steps.

1. Check with the owner that you have permission to do this.

2. Offer to host the image yourself and give them credit.

Cheers -

Archived