texas breeding ?

sycho zebra

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but aren't all Central American cichlids substrate spawners? I cant think of one mouth brooder among them. Carpinte are definately a substrate spawner.

Looking in the book (Aqualog South American Cichlids 3) the conditions they prefer are as follows:-

22-25°C

7.5-8.5pH, hard water

Plenty of light

driftwood, substrate, hiding places etc.

Need a large tank (400L+)

I would assume they are a pretty standard Central, (jaw locking, swimming together, cleaning and protecting the spawning site etc.) I know their colouration changes when in spawning mode. They go largely black or dark grey with the front top quarter going white.

If you follow the requirements stated above and have a mature pair you should not have any problems breeding them.

HTH

Lyndon

Lydon, you hit the nail on the head.

Never seen them jaw lock when mating, just alot of swimming in circles together.

Mine prefers to lay eggs on a large flat surface of some wood.

Will do alot a gravel shovelling around the area as well.

The colour change from brilliant blue to black and white is quite an amazing thing to see.

My texan has spawned again, think its the heat.

cheers.

Are you sure the eggs are eaten?

My latest batch have hatched already (only a few days), you cant really see them unless you have a good hard look.

My texan will eat the bad eggs but doesnt eat the fry, the rest of the fish in the tank have a feast tho'.

Texans breed quite often so maybe just give it time and she'll eventually figure out what to do. Apparently Americans a good parents. I know mine are.

cheers.

Archived