White Blaze Lithobate

midnightexpress

From my understanding there is a white blaze variant but i know the ones going around SA are definate e-blue x lithobate hybrids. Not sure about other states and wether their bloodlines have been tainted.

Anthony cool.gif

Hi there,

Unfortunately there is Lithobates and Electric Blue Hybrids in Australia. Late last year I went around Sydney doing the usual aquarium trek and I had come across these Lithobates and Electric Blue Hybrids in 7 different shops, I asked the owner of the shop where they were coming from and they all replied with the name of the supplier who is a large wholesaler in Queensland. I will not mention the name but I think everyone would know who.

Anyway to the technical side of things.

Otopharynx Lithobates Location: Zimbawe Rocks

This variant is the current Lithobate in Australia, it has the sulphur crest from the tip of the upper lip right through to the end of the tail.

Otopharynx Lithobates Location: Mumbo Island

This variant is very similar to the Sciaenochromis fryeri, it has the white crest from the tip of the upper lip right through to the end of the tail but has more blue and also a orange/red outer lining on the anal fin

Otopharynx Lithobates Location: Chinyamwezi Island

This variant is very similar to the Zimbawe Rocks variant, it has a white / sulphur crest (Blended Colouration) from the tip of the upper lip right through to the end of the tail.

Sciaenochromis fryeri Location: Mbenji Island & Liuli Island

The variant of fryeri can be found throughout the lake and have been confused with the closely related Sciaenochromis ahli which are located mostly around Likoma.

This variant has a white blaze from the tip of the upper lip right through to the end of the tail. It also has vertical bars through the body which are usually displayed when in breeding mode. The anal fin is also a blackish colour with a orange outline. The pectoral fins are also a blackish colour with a white outline

I have actually got a really good breeding colony of Sciaenochromis fryeri which were imported from Germany about 4 Years ago now and they are exactly the same as what ad konings has photographed and written literature on.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Ben thumb.gif

Archived