Feeding Help - The Bullies

st11x

Hi members,

I had just moved up to a bigger (2ft) tank this week and loving every minute of it. The goldfish that I keep just look some much less constrained.

However, I now have a different kind of problem. I have some slower goldfish that can never get up to the surface in time during feeding times. There are a couple of faster ones that just gobble up all the food.

I read somewhere that I have to "distract" the "bullies" by floating some food while sinking some elsewhere. I haven't got any sinking food (except for peas). If I wet the flakes first, it doesn't sink as fast and the "bullies" will notice it first.

Any idea how to deal with this besides getting another tank?

Thanks

Matthew

Hikari Lionhead food is a sinking pellet; personally I have always prefered pelletised food to flakes.

What's your fast goldfish, and which are you slow ones? Perhaps you should keep varieties of similar speed in the same tank.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

Do you have very regular feeding times? I don't, I just make sure I feed them before I go to work, and when I get home. Maybe I should have a regular schedule so that the slower ones will get used to it.

3 of my goldfish I had for 7 months, the other 3 I just bought a couple of days back. Of the 3 that I had for a while, the slow one is the one with the bubble eye (not sure of the name of the breed). The "bubblies" are the regular fantails.

The 3 newer ones are very small. Could that be one of the contributing factors as well?

I'll go grab some sinking pellets and give it a shot.

Thanks

Matt

Do you have very regular feeding times? I don't, I just make sure I feed them before I go to work, and when I get home. Maybe I should have a regular schedule so that the slower ones will get used to it.

Not really; I usually only feed in the evenings, but they are usually hungry (or at least look so), and will beg throughout the day.

The bubble eyes should not be kept in the same tank as other goldfish, as trauma can burst the eye sacks (unless you mean telescopes, such as Black Moors, in which case mine competes very well).

One option is to feed at the same place everytime (did that when mine were very young, but no longer need to), so that they can all congregate at the one spot, and then dump the whole lot in one go, so everyone has a chance.

Will you be getting a larger tank in future? 6 in a 2' is not a lot of space for each. I have a wide and tall 30", which is fine for my 5, but I wouldn't go with any more. I also plant heavily (which isn't easy for goldfish, as they dig), which helps maintain good water conditions (otherwise there is high nitrates).

Yes, I've got the telescopes, one big one and a very tiny one (I love this chap so much ;-)

I just got this new tank, I guess I wouldn't be moving up any time soon. I'm planning a much bigger tank when I get my own house, can't wait till that day ;-)

Thanks for the feeding tips. The telescopes do not come up to the surface, but always foraging in the gravel during feeding times. They only come up sometimes, and hopefull, there's food left. So maybe it takes a while for them to learn?

Thanks for the feeding tips. The telescopes do not come up to the surface, but always foraging in the gravel during feeding times. They only come up sometimes, and hopefull, there's food left. So maybe it takes a while for them to learn?

It does take them some time to learn (which is why I went for sinking Hikari); mine now out-competes the other most of the time (both floating and sinking pellets), and is a real guts. Be aware that they can often have eye problems, and may be blind.

Archived