fresh water gars

sez ianchello

r u sure u have alligator gar (Atractosteus spatula) they grow to 3 m and weight up to 140kg. i never one in aus n probably never will.

the most common gar in aus are spotted gar (Lepisosteus oculatus). Or rarely seem Tropical gar (Atractosteus tropicus)

this is how u tell what gar u have:

alligator gar:

the head length without the upper jaw is longer than the upper jaw length, have more than 56 lateral line scales and the body entirely black with irregular pattern.

over 50 gill rakers

spotted gar:

the head length without the upper jaw is shorter tha the upper jaw length, 53-59 lateral line and the head have spotted pattern.

33 or less gill rakers

it is difficult to sex the gar, usually when they are both mature size (about 4 years)the female are slightly larger than the male.

Go to aquaticpredators.com. It has a section in its forum for Gars. Truly great stuff. Do you mind me asking how much you paid for them? I have seen them for $700 each here in Syd

zipit.gif

yeah iv seen that web site its preety helpful,and put it this way i payed no where near that for both of them so i must be lucky...

also dose any one know what other fish id be able to put in with the gars,i already have some silver dollers and some leaf fish in with them but the tank is still empty sadsmiley02.gif

not available anymore.

but u should get a Ctenolucius huieta "Blunt nose gar" more cheaper ($80) and quite easy to keep. and it look very similar to a spotted gar but it only grow to a max size of 20cm

to aquire tankbusters , u just need 2 be patient. most people can't afford to maintain or can't afford to get a bigger tank to house as it grow. so they do now and then sell it quite cheap.

Archived