Saratoga ID

taybelZ

• 2 weeks later...

I have a baby leichtharti bout the same size. Mine does not look like yours. Mine has slight reddish spots on the body, black fin tips and no barbels. I agree with reddevilman I have heard what he says elsewhere. thumb.gif

No contest its definately Jardini as yes thats right leichardti's dont get the barbels until much larger. Also the jardini have a shorter body length when young.

Once upon atime only jardini's were sold under 8cm as the L's dont travel as well under 15cm, this year small L's have been available as well for the same price as the 15cm ones used to be. Pitty most of the farms that used to breed the l's have given them away for the more profitable food fish. tongue.gif

• 1 month later...

Ok guys, i got some new pictures of the guy. I really need to identify him. I saw in a LFS a "L" and to be honest it looks the same as mine. However, never seen a "J" in real life so can't really say for certain. His about 15cms and i'm getting 2 baby gibbies for him in exchange (on the basis its a leichardi.. however if its a jardini perhaps i can push for 3)

Anyway, images attached

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I agree with the masses its a jardini, at 15cm L's are only starting to get the nobules where the barbels grow from.

Plus

markings on gills pic 1&3 = saratoga jardini

Leichardti have two pink spots on each scale, jardini have a crescent on each scale

is the best guide you can get when identifying them. smile.gif

resenful is probably true , but i still love them as a fish, ive had 2 leicharts the fist ate carpet 3 times (didnt survive the 3rd) my second one thrived couldnt bust through the 10mm 1 piece lids , and after he out grew the 6 foot standard tank i swapped him for a load of africans . my long term goal is to keep some in a pond i think theyd really thrive then smile.gif

Sorry to hear about the one that ate the carpet. Did he jump mostly when you were there or when you were out?. If he died on the carpet you of course must not have been around. What advice can you give me so I could hopfully avioid a similar scenario?

Thanks Reddevilman cool.gif

traded him in the shop guy said it was a jardini so makes the majority of you guys right. clap.gif I told him i thought it was a jardini too... wink.gif

Swapped him for some cardinal tetras and a common pleco.

Why trade auch an awesome fish? Oh well i guess each to their own. How much did you get for it? It is easily worth over $100 id say. cryblow.gif

Archived