The forum

Nigel

Why is the forum so slow to down load. The graphics and logos take for ever to down load. Is it me or the forum. I have broardband but it is downloading like dail up. Some times it wont download at all. Anybody else have the same problem. :(

I have this problem also. I have posted the same question here but no one else mentioned any problems.

Do you find it fine some days and others slow? Today is a slow day by the looks of things this morning.

I have had three, now four, days where the speed, is as you say, like dialup. However, it’s the hole forum load time not just the pictures and things. I have just timed how long it takes to go from the porthole to the forum. Normally it is almost instant. Like one second. Just now it took 22seconds. And every page is the same, even PM menus.

I'm not sure what it could be. All other web sites are as fast as normal. The SCP is the only page I am viewing so don't know why. All I know is normally by the next day it is fast again.

Laurie would know why. Where are you Laurie.

I think we are all haveing the same problem you just notice it more broardband. If Laurie replys it will slow it down more because his post will be that long it will take up to much band width. :lol:

hiya,

tell ya what guys. For a small fee, say ten cents a day from each of ya I'll make the supreme sacrifice and stop posting to save your bandwidth.

I'll just go and add my bank account details to my profile and we'll be all set to go.

As it's just this forum and it's the initial page display rather than the individual pictures etc I presume the delays are simply a consequence of the fact Dave runs the forum on a server on the other side of the planet.

The pipelines between here and LA, while much better than they used to be are still pretty convoluted and long so there's lots of places it can slow down.

eg I think every time I click on a button here the request from my browser, up to the server and back again goes through 12 different routers and a few thousand kilometres of cable.

Ben/Dave can I suggest you check out some of the local isp's and come up with a cost differential between using one here and the one you're using at present.

Of course it'll be more expensive but I for one would be willing to contribute towards paying for that cost differential if it means better performance for everyone and I imagine others would too.

Cheers,

Laurie

I totally disagree... and have the facts to back up why a server in the States is no slower than one here...

it doesnt matter where the host is, it goes through the same channels, and for the record, if a ping check is done, you will find most U.S. servers, are quicker than the ones here...

both my sites are U.S. hosted, plus 2 others that I mod at, and of the 4 sites, 3 are lightning fast (on my best friends server which helps) and the other can be sluggish... the biggest reason for a slowdown is overall, and thats means Universal congestion...

graphics, links, platforms, etc, also play a big part in the speed and the type of infra-structure that the server uses... i.e. SQL, PHP, etc, etc

Paying would help in securing a local host, but can you gaurantee Yew a continual flow of income to pay for this??? There lies the risk... overall there are some great hosts here, but when you start looking at the volume that goes through here, then things get very pricey... that is the sad part, not enough competition here means higher access & hosting charges

THE NEW LOOK MOLLYMAN.COM

Nigel... u are correct with what you say...

have you done any tests yourself as to the upload and download speed from your isp... I cant recall which site it is, but there is a great service online to test that sort of stuff...

Nigel... I am thinking maybe you might want to ask some questions to your ISP... I am having and havent had any lag time on here, or my own site all day... I would get a ping test done... something doesnt add up... if nobody else is really having the same issues...

hmmmm,

I'm not silly enough to claim I can prove anything. I'll just stick to some observations I've been able to make while checkign around then leap to some wild and fanciful conlusions. :(

It does appear that the pacific links are having a hard time today and some indications that there's some problems going on.

A traceroute from Canberra via the Telstra network to the forum goes through about 16 links, all of which manage under 5milliseconds per link until it jumps across the planet and adds an average of 250 milliseconds to every trip.

The problem indication is that the intercontinental link was using the reach.com network..... I'm working from memory here but I thought they normally used the southerncross undersea network and don't recall seeing reach.com in the routes. If that's right it's a suggestion that something must be wrong with the primary links Similarly the connect.com network is routing through new zealand at the moment and incurring a similar lag in the aus to nz jump.

Comindico are continuing to use their own link to the US but it appears to be slow also, possibly because it's carrying traffic for the other networks (wild guess there).

On the other hand a traceroute to the site from various sites in California all get responses in well under 60 milliseconds showing pipes going in and out of the forum itself are workign well (note that doesn't check the site itself... the mysql database coudl be melting down and traceroutes and pings woudl show nothing)

If you care .. keep an eye on the whirlpool.net.au forums over the next few days and I expect you'll probably see some info leaking out about what's causing the problem.

As to it being a specific ISP. I'm on the Comindico network, Nigel is on optus and Ben is on the tesltra network.... that doesn't leave much out.

Ok I can't help myself....

having the facts to demonstrate that a server in the US is just as fast as a local one is a bit like having the facts to prove I can fly to Sydney faster than I can drive to the far side of my own city.

It's isn't really closer and it takes a hell of a lot of money making it appear to be so

Of course if the routing is correct you will always see a decrease iin pings if the server is local and fast, ie whirlpool.net.au is hosted in brisbane i get great speeds as i live in brisbane. The same site hosted in the US i would get a few hundreds of a second slower due to the distance the data has to travel.

Anyway I just did various traceroots and all seems normal to me :(...

Site load time is fine, Nigel i could perhaps create a proxy or something for you will make this site faster for you ...

but... the source of that argument is flawed... :8

the basis is spot on, (thumbs up for that) but for an example shouldnt all major networks be added (again, purely a suggestion)

you quote the Telstra network... they only make up 8% of the .net volume from the asia pacific region... try a trace on say UU.Net, or one of the other hub networks... I have been on direct links via the net and ftp and have had smooth sailing, all day... again, by choosing to host my own sites (in partnership with a friend) we choose the paths that side of the water which equate to less links overall... so in Nigels case, he should look at where the source is, and where it is linking to...

if it is playing worldwide ping-pong, as some networks do, then the finger can be pointed largely to the host/ISP/network subsid...

given that it is 2am west Coast/5-6am over on the East, volume is very light, and a check just then on Alexa shows no congestion on any of the Pacific links???

I can only go by what I can see now, which is I havent had any slow down what so ever all day... just an observation :(

at the end of the day access to SCP has been lightning fast...

Hi All -

Lets not get hot under the collar (anyone!) - it is warm enough today :D!.

Dave hosts this forum overseas because it is cheaper and easier for him. I would host in Oz, only every person I approached who was competent cost more than double the current price. In some cases it was 8 - 10 times the price.

Laurie/Mollyman/Others - I honestly value all your opinions in this - however, I've just started a new job and don't have much time to do these things. Will look into it at some point (probably next year when our current deal ends).

Cheers -

Guys lets not get carried away here. The only place on the web i have a problem with down load speed is on this forum. I am not the only one i am sure but most people dont like to make a fuss i cant help myself sorry David. :D Dont worry David its not a big problem just sometimes its so slow but i can live with it i think. :rolleyes:

Archived