Apistogramma weisei or Taeniacara candidi?

Mountainmark

I seem to remember a while back (a couple of years maybe?!?!) seeing A. weisei on a wholesale list and was wondering A) if anyone else recalls this OR B) if anyone knows which name this fish commonly goes by with wholesalers?

I'm mainly trying to source a few of the rarer cichlids to make sure that we as hobbyists don't lose any more. I know this fish is still floating (swimming?) around and can be found with some rather intense looking but are there any successful breeders out there?

TIA

Good on you Mark, we need this fish in our hobby. Let us know if you have any luck with finding them. Considering Dricossus maculatus was recently on a wholesalers list, perhaps you have a chance of finding some T. Candidi afterall.

Daniel

So technically speaking we could still get this fish imported as long as we call it an apisto? That's interesting isn't it. So really they are only rare because no one has imported them for a while?

Mark,

It was quite a few years ago (at least 5) that I saw these in St. George. Their high price tag is making this tiny beauty very unattractive even to dwarf enthusiasts. Some of the reason for their high cost are:

- High losses through quarantine due to their fragile size/form

- Lack of demand

- Small yield from breeding program

Thomas.

Archived