Frontosa will not eat

Fozz

Hey all

well once again one of my female fronts is hiding and does not seem to be eatingI wouldnt be so concern ecept for the fact that her stomach seems to of become inverted suggesting weight loss and I am a bit concerned as i had this problem with a female convict who starved herself to death there diet has been unchanged there is alot of pots in the tank I just dont know whats going on she seems in perfect condition beside the weight loss so i dont think she has been harassed. please help I dont want to lose her.

Thanx Fozz

I would try some live food.

Problem is that basically you have told us nothing.

What is the regular diet that is unchanged?

What are the other fish in the tank?

How old is the fish, etc...are all important bits of info to provide when you need help about feeding problems, as are water perameters/filtration, etc.

The more info you provide the better the answers can be B'coz there is less psychic/guess work involved.

She is in a tank with 5 other Fronts she is part of a trio the other 3 fronts are juveniles I am unsure of her age I'd say about 2.5 years old there usual diet is Nu-Life Spectrum and occasionally flakes by the looks of her she is the older out of the 2 females the other female has sores on one side of her body just under her eye and near her fin but appears fine and behaving normal while this fish has no wounds at all and does not venture very far from her pots pH is 8.5 the filtration being used is just an aqua one hang on filter 500L p/h She is currently housed in a standard 4ft tank sorry for the lack of information I hope this helps in determining what is going on.

Thanx Fozz

I am unsure Ammonia, nitrate/nitrite in the tank the fronts have been in there for about 4 months now I had a quick reshuffle this morning and was able to place her in a 2fter by her self and left her in a dark room she is eating a lil bit as i seen last nite I wont feed her today due to the move buyt as of the moment she is still just sitting in the pot she remains a real dark colour all the time and no she didnt have a mouthful the 4fter is temporary hopefully be getting a 6x2x2 after christmas when iv got some shut down work on.

Thanx for the replys

Fozz

OK Fozz,

I am no expert on Front's(or anything else for that matter) and I can not be sure what the problem is.

However, what may have happened is you have upset the pecking order among the fish when you introduced the 2 new ones.

What is more likely tho, IMHO, is that the filtration has just been keeping up with the Trio and the water chemistry has changed with an increase in the load on the filter.

Please invest in an ammonia test kit for your fish and see if the LFS will test you water for you for free, specially as you will be buying the test-kit at the same time.

Hope this rough-punt at the problem helps get you started with a resolution.

What is more likely tho, IMHO, is that the filtration has just been keeping up with the Trio and the water chemistry has changed with an increase in the load on the filter.

I agree with Maz there you may need to add another filter or split them up a bit till the new tank is ready..

Also as stated check for ammonia levels etc.

With high PH fish those ammonia alerts are a worthy investment.

Archived