Otocinclus

ireland

Hi all

I have to get some otos for my planted tank and was wondering how much others have paid for them in other places around the country. Ive seen them for 10 to 12 dollars in brisbane, but if i want to get quite a few thats going to be too expensive for me!

Does anyone know anywhere where i could get them cheaper than that in Brisbane the gold coast or northern NSW?

How many would you recommend for a 4ft standard heavily planted tank??

Do otos ever breed in captivity?

thanks

Matt

If you are wanting them for algae cleaning purposes, you might want to look into have some bristlenose catfish instead. I just got 3 (about 5cm) put into my 4 ft tank that had green and brown algae on the tank sides and plants. Put them in at about 8pm by the next morning the plants and tank sides were clean.

Only problem now is what am I going to feed them :lol:

Matt,

Apparently, Otto's are not too difficult to breed in captivity. Search the net and you will find some limited info on breeding them. Generally, they breed in a similar way to Cory's. How many you need will depend on your algae situation particularly that on leaves of plants. Generally, you wouldnt need too many for a 4ft (perhaps 4 or so max) unless you have lots of algae on your leaves.

Daniel

If you are wanting them for algae cleaning purposes, you might want to look into have some bristlenose catfish instead. I just got 3 (about 5cm) put into my 4 ft tank that had green and brown algae on the tank sides and plants. Put them in at about 8pm by the next morning the plants and tank sides were clean.

Only problem now is what am I going to feed them :lol:

hey Zabby

i wouldnt recommended Bnose in planted tank. First of all they can some time damage ur plant like making holes, this is just my epxerience with my aquascape which ruined acouple of times. Other thing is bnose only do clean well on the glass as they can hang on it for as plant they dont do clean well it well on it.

For me i prefer True SAE , otto, or shrimp (ghost shrimp ,wood shrimp or so and so)

SAE would be my fist choice as they cheaper then otto and they do pretty much same period of cleaning as otto.

For me i prefer True SAE , otto, or shrimp (ghost shrimp ,wood shrimp or so and so)

SAE would be my fist choice as they cheaper then otto and they do pretty much same period of cleaning as otto.

I find that SAE and Ottos clean different areas, and have all three (including BN) in my planted tanks. I like Ottos and BN due to their character; SAEs don't seem to have as much.

Do you find ghost and wood shrimps useful for algae cleaning purporse? How big do they get, and are they a danger to fish?

Just picked up some Ottos today at Bondi Junct; they were under $6 each, about 2-3cm.

Hi PHL

The true SAE do very good job if u can identify the true SAE from the fake as many LFS have flying fox which looks da same but i can distinguish the different, go to www.thekribs.com they have alot of nice articles.

I had ghost shrimp like 6 months ago from lansvale i think 5 for 10buck. they seems to get along with most of my fish but acouple neon had tail rip but no mayjor issue. they look very cool when some time they cruising in the forground.

Ghost shrimp do extreme well for black hair algea for my pass out break, and they breed every now and then.

im not sure about the wood shrimp and amano shrimp available in aus but they are most attractive shrimp from my opion ( try ask LFS )

The true SAE do very good job if u can identify the true SAE from the fake as many LFS have flying fox which looks da same but i can distinguish the different, go to www.thekribs.com they have alot of nice articles.

im not sure about the wood shrimp and amano shrimp available in aus but they are most attractive shrimp from my opion ( try ask LFS )

I don't have a problem IDing true SAE, as I've had them in my tanks for a long time now. They are actually very easy to ID once you've seen a few; I really don't see why there is any confusion as they look completely different to my eye. I suspect mine might be getting too big and lazy as well...

Eric's site (the krib) is certainly a good source of information, as he archives the better discussions.

AFAIK, there are no Yamatonuma Ebi (Cardina Japonica, so called Amano Shrimp) in Aust, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong, as I wouldn't mind some.

Also, in Sydney the true SAE is actually labelled as a "Flying Fox" :rolleyes:

If you ask for a SAE they're like... What!!??

In my tank tank I have a combo of the three main algae eaters; the bristlenose Oto and SAE. And yeh, they all eat different types of algae so it's all good.

Also, in Sydney the true SAE is actually labelled as a "Flying Fox" :rolleyes:

If you ask for a SAE they're like... What!!??

In my tank tank I have a combo of the three main algae eaters; the bristlenose Oto and SAE. And yeh, they all eat different types of algae so it's all good.

I've seen Siamese Flying Fox in addition to plain Flying Fox. I usually just ask for "Three of THAT fish!"

I do similar, and have all three.

Archived