Desperate help need with Giant Gourami

alpina

guys,

after reading this forum, i thought i absolutely had to have a true tankbuster of my own. my full size pleco's and gebicips simply would not do smile.gif

so last weekend, i bought a 6cm "pink" GG which looks more white to me to join my cats, juvenile frontys and 10cm gold severums in a 6*2*2. From the onset, my severums gave it hard time. although his fins are missing a few bits the beating has now subsided but my GG does not look happy. its colour has gone pinkish, its fins look tight and it seems to sit on the bottom and hide between the rocks. on a positive its appetite is still big and it comes up for air every 10 or so minutes (why it needs more air beats me but i understand that all gouramis do this).

anyway, this a afternoon, i intend to partition off part of my part and seperate my GG from the others.

would appreciate any advise you can give as i love this fish and really want to grow a full size specimen. what can i do to improve his mood and get him out of this state asap?

cheers,

julie

Hey Julie,

I think partitioning off a section of the tank would be a wise idea, after reading what has happened to your giant gourami. It is interesting that the severums where the aggressors in your case, as in everything i have read, giant gourami's when small tend to be fairly aggressive, then becomming more placid when older and larger. As for taking trips to the surface for air, that is fine, i wouldn't worry about that. It is also very pleasing to hear that the fish is still eating, because you really should get concerned the moment fish stop eating, but yours still is, which is great.

I think dividing the tank up is a good first step, that will allow your g.g's fins to heal and perhaps get him back on track. Then when he gets a bit bigger, maybe you can take out the divider, and see how he goes then

I know this wasn't the best advice, but i can say that dividing the tank up to allow a nervous, injured fish to recover is a step in the right direction, from personal experience. thumb.gif

Thanks, and good luck, they are a great fish !

Arrafanatic

thanks arrafanatic,

is it normal for GG's to sit on the bottom of a tank and hide in rocks? eveytime i've seen them at aquariums they are always near the surface at the front of the tank and "in your face" - its like they crave for attention smile.gif

cheers,

julie

thanks arrafanatic,

is it normal for GG's to sit on the bottom of a tank and hide in rocks? eveytime i've seen them at aquariums they are always near the surface at the front of the tank and "in your face" - its like they crave for attention smile.gif

cheers,

julie

i have noticed one at my LFS that sits mostly on the bottom and is in a community tank (fully grown) and the other sits higher in a tank by itself, not sure if its related but thats as far as my knowledge on the matter goes sadsmiley02.gif

GG successfully partitioned off - left a juvenile fronty, scat and bristlenose to keep it company.

took a fair bit of effort to catch it so good to know its energy levels are still high.

will keep you guys updated.

fingers crossed.

julie

You have certainly done the right thing alpina by partioning it. If your Gourami is bullied and stressed then it's best to remove or seperate to stop any damage which could lead to infection. How big are the severums? You must also remember that you have introduced a new fish into an established tank. The residents will not look favourable upon the newcomer, especially if it is smaller than average. Give the Gourami some time to adjust to the new surroundings. Then remove the partition after a while.

I just bought one today bout 5cm...... thumb.gif really nice fish.

hi lv,

severums are a little bigger than it but not a huge difference.

gg is being reclusive since ive seperated it and has been off its food. anyone would think that it preferred being bullied! smile.gif

on a positive, its fins look a little better (more freer than tightly closed up). Hope its starts eating again soon.

will keep you guys informed.

cheers,

julie

• 2 weeks later...

gg was released with other fish last sunday.

all is going great. its no longer being picked on and its eating like there is no tomorrow - even eating bloodworms and pellets from floor which it wasn't doing before.

this fish even at this size has such great personality - looking forward to watching it grow smile.gif

julie

Glad to hear it smile.gif Once the gourami has settled in you may have to watch the other fish laugh.gif

this fish even at this size has such great personality

I know what you mean about the personality, mine is still a juvie but personality is comin through. He seems to be very aware of my movements around the tank. I can interact with him already......

• 4 weeks later...

hi lv426,

you were right about my gg - his gone from beaing nearly beaten to death to the being the aggressor.

growing quickly and eating heaps - very tame allowing me to pet him during feeding time.

his not causing any damage but chasing fish occasionally.

this fish has so much personality smile.gif

cheers,

julie

• 1 year later...

hi guys

well after reading what you have done which all was good and the right thing to do

all i can say is watch the gain gourami with the goldens, as well i have 2 fully grown GG a pair.

and they are sweet with any type of fish excempt south american cichlids mostly i have found my GG

have a taste for oscar doesn't matter what size they will try they best to get it and same goes for goldens and green serviums. iam not sure what it is with those types of fish maybe it's because they look similar in body shape when i first put 2 ocars about 15 cms long in with them it took about 3 mins for one of the oscars to decide that jumping out of the tank was better than staying in it. even now with my tank setup with rocks and caves for the gold severiums they don't come out as much because of the GG 's

they little one will grow quick heaps of veggiess and fruit.

if you need any help or want to ask go ahead

cheers guys

Archived