Hoplo Catfish.

Luke Austin

G'day Luke,

Hopplo cats are one of my favorite cats and are good scavangers for any excess food that might be left around. They are usually very peaceful and don't bother anyone. I think that you will find that the fish you are keeping will have no problems with the hopplo's.

Hope you enjoy keeping these interesting cats as much as I do! :D

I concur - should be fine unless one of your cichlids decides to spawn.

Hoplos are peaceful :)

Does this mean they are fry predators? I'm looking at a clean up crew for a planted tank; the current crew (clown loaches) are rather destructive on expensive plants.

G'day

I really love these little guys.

I have nine of them. I am currently trying insuccessfully to breed them. But that is ok, they are happy and swiming around the tanks they live in.

They don't tend to harm any plants however they do sometimes "perch" up in the branches of some plants, strange but really interesting behaviour.

No i seriously doubt that you could breed them in a community tank. The bubble nest may get harmed by the other fish, and I believe the male may harm any fish that attempt to go near his nest as well. But this is only what I have read, I have never seen it.

Just ensure that an area of the surface is nice and still and his nest has something he can anchor it to Eg. Polystyrene, or maybe even some floating plants. Currently trying this method as the polystyrene method failed with my fellas.

I was informed by some one that they tend to breed after rain storms ..

So when it was raining he would give them a large water change and use a shower head attached to a strong pump to refill the tank, he had them spawn a few times but didnt get very many fry to survive..

They don't tend to harm any plants however they do sometimes "perch" up in the branches of some plants, strange but really interesting behaviour.

I have Ottos that do that; unfortunately the survival rates of Ottos aren't great. :unsure

Yep rain helps heaps ..

Considering they are adults

best is to separate in their own tank heaps of weeds and plenty of floating material.

Then when it rains do a big say 50% water change..

Make sure water is a little soft.

when we use to breed them we would breed them in outdoor ponds

make sure adults are well feed prior to the spawn!!

When they have breed i have also found that best to take females away as the males tend to guard the nest.

They actually breed very similar to your fighting fish

opps and yes plenty green water for babies..then when they are free swiming take the males away and bring the babies up on microworms and brine shrimp

Hope this helps and good luck :^: :^:

If i recall there is an aritcle on the breeding and raising fry of Hoplos on the AusCat forum (Perth) link is at top of Catfish Corner home page under a pinned topic.

wazza

• 1 month later...

Archived