Fish with pop eyes

Kribbie

Hi all,

A friend of mine needs some help with his fish. He noticed that one of his ram got popped eyes, there is no signs of protruded scales but it looks like very sick indeed. sad.gif Here are some photos of the sick fish:

user posted image

user posted image

Does anyone know whether these are the early symptoms of dropsy?

If no, what type of disease it is and is there any treatment that can be use?

Thanks in advance.

Heidi smile.gif

Hi Heidi,

From my experience this is caused from a bacterial infection behind the eyes. The infection can be the result of high ororganic nutrient load in the tank, poor water quality, incorrect diet (to high in protein).

You could try a course of antibotics or just malifix and salt. I have had the most success with the later, always using a hospital tank to treat fish.

Cheers

Benjamin

Thanks Benjamin~ wink.gif Might be this disease is called "hole in the head"?

From my knowledge, it is caused by bacterial infection and they slowly eat away the tissues around the eyes. But in this case, there's also no signs of a "hole" next to the eye as well...which it really confused us. huh.gif

From what my friend has told me about his tank's water condition, it seems to be fine and clean since he do water changes pretty often and he doesn't feed live foods (eg. blood worms) to his fish as well. Therefore, poor water quality should not be the cause of the disease.unsure.gif

Anyhow, thankyou for your help. smile.gif I'll tell him that he can try to use some melafix on this ram and see whether the situation can be improved or not.

Cheers,

Heidi

Ah ha!! Thanks, Cichlids_au for reminding me that there's a FAQ section in the forum. Silly me~ tongue.gif The FAQ section helps alot, thanks!

darrenw,

This ram got no holes on his head or near his eyes at all, just both of his eyes popped out. sad.gif

If i had to guess, based on the pictures i would say fish TB (mycobacterium infection). Very difficult to treat. Clean water and good diet will help prolong the fish's life, but my guess would be that if it is TB the fish will waste away.

Exopthalmia (pop eye) can be caused by a number of different things. Thanks for the photos though, they help a lot with disease questions!

Thanks everyone for the help. smile.gif

However, according to my friend, the bad news is that this ram has died 2 days ago.. sadsmiley02.gif There was no sign of protruded scales observed and neither any holes on the head developed (so...it's not TB, correct? huh.gif ).

Therefore, to my conclusion is that this fish might suffer from vitamins / minerals defficiency..huh.gif..since it was so picky on foods and was the smallest fish in the group as well. But no one knows the exact reason for this mysterious disease..sad.gif Anyway, thanks for all the input, me and my friend is very appreciated. smile.gif

Archived