Cycle new tank

fishly

Is it possible to cycle a new tank with fishless method such as using Cycle from Hagen + fish food? and what are the disadvantages of using this method compared with having fish in the tank?

What kind of fishes are hardy enough to cycle my new tank for either malawi or tangs? Can I put BN in the tank while it is cycling?

Finally is it a good idea to turn on the UV sterilizer for few days prior cycling the tank (so that all craps are killed) or after the tank complete its cycling process?

Regards,

Fishly

Hi Fishly,

Do you have other tanks? If so what size?

How big is the new tank?

Do you have mates close by who keep fish?

There are easier ways to cycle a tank if you have existing tank/s. Other wise to be safe do it right.

To tell you how to do it right we need to know the tank size and the type of filtration you are going to use.

Bristle nose should be fine in the tank after three days. Or if you use aged water or a water ager they should be fine to go in straight away.

Hi Ben,

Thank you for your reply ;).

My new tank is 5ft. I do have another 3ft tank. I was thinking to use the water from the other tank, but I stopped my self from doing it. Because the 3ft tank has brown algae which I am worry that the new tank will get infected if I use the water from that tank.

By the way I have filled the new tank with tap water + Serra water conditioner (double doses).

What I am going to do next is either to

- run the UV steriliser for few days first to kill all junkies (Fungus, parasite, etc) then start cycling the tank, or

- start cycling the tank first, once it is completed, runs the UV steriliser for few days to make sure that no junkies in the tank. After that start adding some fishes.

Which steps do you think would be the good one?

By the way, the filter that I am going to use for the new tank is Resun AE-808 1500lts/hr. I am considering to add another wet/dry trickle filter (but not yet happening :unsure, cause I am looking for 2ft tank for the sump) :p .

Regards,

:^:

fisly

if you have an existing tank clean out its filter into a bucket and put all teh all the water and brown gunky crap out of the bucket into the new tank.

using the water fron another tank won't help much as the benificial bacteria live on surfaces thus there is not high quantities in the water.

another way is to grab a couple of handfuls of gravel out of an established tank and chuch that into the other tank.

with a larger tank what i would do is fill it with water and let it r5un for a week or so and then get a FEW (being one or two) hardy fish such as convicts. or if you have some fish out of a nother tank which you migh twant to use so you don't have to buy any (just don't use any prized fish as it is possible but unlikely that they might die). add the fish to the tank and feed only small amounts, keep testing for the usual nitrate and ammonia. once they have stabalised and are low add another fish or two and over a month or two add a few more fish still keeping an eye on ammonia levels.

i prefer to use fish to cycle the tank cause it makes it a bit more interesting and cause i get sick of people asking where the fish are :angry: "why don't you just put em all in, they will be fine, thats wot i did wif my tank". :o this might work with things like goldfish but not really well with cichlids, especially the expensive ones

hope this helps

:D James

Archived