Tiger Shovel Nose Catfish

tanz11

I have a problem guys. I've got a 14 inch Tigershovelnosecatfish and he/she has stopped eating. Has not eaten for almost a 9 days now and is uninterested in food. Used to eat like a pig before. Water conditions are fine. Ph 6.9 to 7.0, temp 24-25 deg cel, no pollution to speak off and no ammonia spikes or anything like that....tank is 8x2x2. Anyhelp will be appreciated. Tanman@aanet.com.au

Big catfish are strange fish. I had my TSN go on a hunger strike for 4months, in which time it lost very little weight and remained healthy and active, then just one day she started eating like a pig again.

As long as your water perams are fine and she seems healthy and reasonably active, I would not worry too much. 9 days is not a long time for this spp of fish.

If you are really worried try some feeders. They should dissapear over night.

Okie Dokie i shall leave it alone for another week and see what happens...i just bought some feeders and put em in the tank. Non of em have been eaten as yes...it's been 24 hours. I had no Idea fish could live 4 months without eating...bloody hell. Anyway thanks guys.

I should probably add that my fish was 24" alot larger then yours which would have helped it go so long without food. The average fish can't go extended periods without eating. TSN's are built for it, eating large meals the not eating for a week or so.

OK who ate all my goldfish....the Tiger shovel nose did. Problem solved guys. It's back to its hungary self again and eatin everything, all my feeders have been wiped clean and this morning i put in some frozen peeled prawns and theyre all gone as well. I am Happy and relieved. clap.gif

Archived