such a thing as a European breed Lab. caeruleus?

sab

Hi all!

I have quite a different looking Lab. caeruleus from my other five. When I bought it, it was sold as one from European stock that has little or no black and white in the dorsal fin, and other fins. Mine appears to be female.

The breeder that sold it to me has a very good reputation here in Melbourne (in fact he has had Ad Konnings in his shop and is quite good friends with the guru he was telling me!) and told me that the Labs taken to Europe initially were quite different to the Australian ones. They have been breed to be more of a lemon yellow and with little to no markings.

I have attached a pic I took this evening and would love to hear any comments from others about this different electric yellow! I don't think it is a cross breed...

Further images can be seen on my website:

Sabs Aquarium - page four

15_01.jpg

hey thanks for the info!

I bought it for about $7 or $8 i think it was - was about 30mm or thereabouts (so around 6 months old?).

Maybe its parents originally came from Europe a way back when - this is probably a 4th/5th/12th generation.

An interesting fish nonetheless!

Any other comments greatly appreciated!

Hi Sab,

A few years ago there was a breeder in Melbourne who was actually trying to line breed the black out of an electric yellow - don't ask me why :angry:: ;):

Perhaps these are decendants from that breeding program although I am not sure if the breeder was European or not :angry:

Archived