not removing baby bn from parents

finnas

We've had bristlenose breed plenty of times when there's been all sorts of fish in their tank - including their own fry at various sizes. If the tank is overcrowded they may not breed, but that's more of a water quality/space issue.

The biggest problem when a pair of bristlenose is breeding in a tank with other species of fish is predation - most other fish will eat the young fry, you may never even see them and think that the parents are not breeding, but it's really been that the fry have all been picked off.

For best results keep the pair/colony in their own breeding tank and remove fry when they are at least 2cm or more (I prefer 3cm at least, then the fry are hardier and cope better with moving, but if it's getting crowded you may have to move them when they are smaller).

Cheers,

Jess

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

a local dude doing seerious bristlenose production moves his adults to a new section of the tank and leaves the bubs behind to grow out.

He says eventually the adults stop breeding but judging from the tanks I saw it was at quite a high density as his tanks were teeming with little black wigglies.

I always move the kids to a large frysaver before they're ready to leave the nest of their own accord because I don't have any tanks that would be safe for baby bristlenose to swim around in.

I have moved 15-20 6-8cm bristlenose to a 3ftX18inchX18inch tank a few months ago. They started to breed there. Judging from the fry sizes, there are at least 2 big batches are swimming around in the tank. I do not think that stopped the adults from breeding.

Archived