are malawi's cannibalistic

marnifer

Hello everyone.

I was cleaning my tank last night and noticed a tiny little fry swimming about in one corner of the tank that had never been in there before. Now I knew mum hadn't been eating and seemed to have a very full mouth but that has happened a number of times in the couple of months that I have had her and there were never any fry.

I caught her and stripped her and ended up with about a dozen pulu point zebra fry.

Now I only have one 2ft tank that contains three electric yellows and three pulu point zebra's - none of them any bigger than 7cm. Since I didn't have any other tanks and no fry saver, I just had to throw mum and the littluns back into the tank (gently of course).

My question is, will the fry survive or are they about to become dinner for someone else?

Also, assuming that nobody finds them a nice snack, how do i go about feeding them?

i dont really like your chances of them staying alive in there my fry saver tipped over once had about cobalts in into my six foot which was full of rocks and places to hide about a month later i found one cobalt left and caught it out took out all rocks and did not find any others

If a fry will fit into another fish's mouth, it will be snacked on, no doubt about it, although the mother will not eat them until she forgets they're hers. Some may survive if they have places to hide and are able to grow large enough to be regarded as fish not food. They will eat small particles of food.

Fiona.

SCPsig_gold.gif

I can count about 5 fry of various genarations still alive in my six foot tank today, however i think that would have to be over the last twelve months from well over 30 mouthfuls from varying fish, so the survival rate is very low indeed.

Invest ina fry saver, someone else on this board in Sydney was saying he could make and sell them for about $5 in another thread i think, cichlids_au it was i think.

Best money you will spend, great to see them growing up and occaioaly you can get some money for them or swap them for food or toher acessories or fish at an LFS that you would have purchased regardless.

Mark

I would say their chances of survival are fairly low in a mixed malawi tank. If it was just the one species in the tank the chances would be better, but i am pretty sure they will get chomped.

A fry saver is the way to go. You can make them really cheaply out of an ice cream container!

Archived